Issues with Keychain

Reaction score
I copied the Library/Keychain folder from my old Lion OS into Snow Leopard, and in the Keychain Access app all my previous stuff shows up. But I'm not automatically logged into wireless networks (indeed, none show up in Network Settings) neither am I automatically logged into websites. This is extremely frustrating because the networks at my workplace use passwords like 174SAD8dje, you get the idea.

And now, Keychain doesn't even ask me to save passwords when I re-login to websites and forums, that small black dialog that pops up at the corner of the screen.

When I scrutinize SL's Library/Keychain folder, it seems that the .keychain that I copied in will get replaced after a short while with a blank .keychain file.

Does anyone know how I can extract/restore the entries from my old .keychain file?

Thanks,
Nicholas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
More likely than not, the problem is that you are trying to use a Keychain database that has been optimized for a newer OS than what you want to use it in. You generally can't go backwards. You'll either need to find a copy of the folder from a backup before you first upgraded to Lion, or start from scratch and redo it all.

You could try the Keychain First Aid for kicks… found in the menu of Keychain Access.

OP
N
Reaction score
You make a good point, that could be the case. Even after erasing Lion it's still giving me trouble :mad:

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. I'll retrieve the old keychain file when I get home and try First Aid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.