Sharing hotel-style wifi with 2 airports (AP express & AP extreme)

Reaction score
The situation:
Wifi is provided, but with a hotel style login portal and only 1 device per login (mac address logging I'm guessing).

While I wouldn't really need more than 1 device connected at a given time, I'd like to be able to use that login for all of my devices so I'm trying to share this wifi signal by bridging it to my own network.

After a lot of searching it sounded like the answer was to connect an airport express using the login and then have it share that connection with another router so that everything would appear to go through the airport express. Unfortunately I've run into a wall with this and haven't been able to find anything else from just searching.

What I've done so far:
Setup the airport express to join an existing network and connected my desktop to it with an ethernet cable. Once I did that I got the login portal prompt as expected so I entered the login and it was all good. The problem is I was expecting to be able to unplug my desktop and plug in any other device to the airport express with the ethernet cable and still have access, but when I do that it just prompts me for the login again (so it seems to have remembered my desktop rather than just the APE). I thought that the second device would still connect through the APE so it wouldn't appear to be different, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If that test worked, then I was going to go ahead and just plug it into the airport extreme and have my own network.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Depending on the hotel setup there's often no way around this from a straightforward technical standpoint.

Could you not just ask the hotel for a second login?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.