Will 10.5 Leopard work on Ibook G4?

Reaction score
I have an ibook g4 :
(14" iBook G4 Laptop10.4,AdobeCS, FCP, 640MB, 40GB,DVD/CDRW,Wifi)
((That's all the specs I have because I purchased the laptop from someone else))

I was wondering if 10.5 Leopard will work on this computer? Or just 10.4.

Thanks
-Jess

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an ibook g4 :
(14" iBook G4 Laptop10.4,AdobeCS, FCP, 640MB, 40GB,DVD/CDRW,Wifi)
((That's all the specs I have because I purchased the laptop from someone else))

Actually it's not all the specs you have.;) You forgot one of the most important specs...and that's the processor speed...which is VERY important in answering your OS 10.5 question.

If your iBook has a cpu faster than 867mhz...then it can run OS 10.5 Leopard. This is the minimum cpu speed spec...so the faster a cpu your iBook has...the better it will run OS 10.5.

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually it's not all the specs you have.;) You forgot one of the most important specs...and that's the processor speed...which is VERY important in answering your OS 10.5 question.

If your iBook has a cpu faster than 867mhz...then it can run OS 10.5 Leopard. This is the minimum cpu speed spec...so the faster a cpu your iBook has...the better it will run OS 10.5.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Oh! lol well I bought it used from someone else and that's all the specs he gave me. Erm I'm not sure what the specific cpu is of this computer lol. Is there a way to find out?
Thanks for the reply btw :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I should probably mention that when I start the computer, it won't go past the boot screen due to downloading Ubuntu (which completely wiped mac os). So I have to reinstall mac os. At the moment it's not working at all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should probably mention that when I start the computer, it won't go past the boot screen due to downloading Ubuntu (which completely wiped mac os). So I have to reinstall mac os. At the moment it's not working at all.

Sometimes there's a little ID tag of some sort on the computer that lists what the specs. of the computer was when it was new. If there was a Mac OS on it...it would be easy to get the cpu speed. I don't know if you can find the cpu speed with Ubuntu.

I just reviewed all the 14" iBook G4 models...and if you truly have an iBook G4 with a 14" display...then it has at least a 900mhz cpu...which would meet the minimum specs. for OS 10.5 Leopard.

Now you just have to go on e-Bay & spend $80-$100 to get a 10.5 install disk!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.