Cracked MacBook Pro Screen - Temperature Fluctuation

Reaction score
Hello,

So winter has just arrived where I live, and my flat is cold - I see my breath inside to give you a clue to how cold. So this morning, i picked up my cold mac and turned it on, I believe because the screen was so cold that it resulted in a crack across my MacBook screen. I never dropped it. I never sat on it. I never slammed the screen shut.

I have an AppleCare extended warranty wish is valid for another 1.5 years.

Chances in a warranty-covered repair by Apple?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can convince Apple the cold temperature is what caused your MacBook screen to crack, then yes, they'll repair it under Apple care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is a minimum operating temperature listed in your computer's manual. I don't know which MacBook Pro model you have, but for the current model, it's 10° C or 50° F.

Since your breath was fogging, it was very likely (depending on humidity) that the temperature in your room was below this level.

If you operated your Mac below the minimum temperature, in spite of what it says in the manual, then this would not be covered by the warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
The only thing that you can do is try and get it replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.