Resolution issue on iMac to HD projector

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an early 2009 iMac 24" connected to a HD projector with mini display port to vga. Somehow I only get 1600x1200 resolution, and not the full HD the projector has.

If I mirror the displays, both my mac and projector get a 1600x1200 res, if I uncheck mirrors, my mac goes back to 1920x1200, but the projector stays the same.

The cables should be fine as far as I know. Could there be a hardware issue, graphics card for instance? Or do you have an idea of what else could be the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts or tips (and I apologize if the answer could be found elsewhere, I'm new to the forums)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the native resolution of the HD projector? And does the iMac correctly recognize the projector? Note that you can not get any higher resolution from the projector above its native resolution regardless of the resolution of the iMac.

OP
E
Reaction score
The native resolution for the projector is 1080i, 1920x1080 px.

I am borrowing the projector from my brother, and I don't think he had any problems getting the highest resolution when connecting to his macbook, so I'm wondering if it's an imac issue.

What do you mean by "correctly recognize the projector" though? I can get a picture without any detection problems, only I can not have 1080i as resolution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I'm referring to is this: When opening System Preferences, Displays, and selecting "Detect Displays", does your iMac correctly identify the projector?

When connecting a projector to a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the projector will automatically display its native resolution when the lid on the MacBook or MacBook Pro is closed. Unfortunately, an iMac can not be operated in clamshell mode.

Another thing just occurred to me.... you're using a MDP to VGA adapter. Have you tried MDP to HDMI instead?

OP
E
Reaction score
Nothing seems to be happening when I press "detect displays".

Other than that, I haven't tried MDP to HDMI yet (I'd rather not spend more money on cables if I could make this work). Also I talked to an Apple store employee and he meant that if it didn't work with my current setup it wouldn't be any better with HDMI.

Is there supposed to be a difference between the two, if so, in what way? Again, thanks for continuing to reply and help out :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a difference between the types of cable since MDP to VGA is analog and the MDP to HDMI or even MDP to DVI is digital. Much better bandwidth when the signal is digital. I don't honestly know if that will make a difference though to gain the higher resolution.

I would try the better cable but purchase it from a supplier who will refund your money if it doesn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.