Which Windows XP runs best on Virtual Box?

Reaction score
I've been researching options for running Windows on Mac Mini with Lion but since each option seems to have as many detractors as advocates, I'm gonna start with Virtual Box because I can't get out of the cost of a version of Windows and Virtual Box being free is a big attraction.

As for Windows, 7 is too **** pricey so I'm considering XP not only because it's much cheaper, but because I know for sure all my Windows software will run on it. However, there are several versions of XP (sigh). Can someone tell me which version to buy? Ideally, I'd like to hear from people who are running XP on VB and having good experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is no performance issues with Windows XP. They all run the same. The only difference is that Microsoft creates Windows XP pro, then takes features out to create the various editions, probably because MS is run by marketing people who think that market segmentation is a good idea when selling an operating system.

OP
CyberCrone
Reaction score
THere is no performance issues with Windows XP. They all run the same. The only difference is that Microsoft creates Windows XP pro, then takes features out to create the various editions, probably because MS is run by marketing people who think that market segmentation is a good idea when selling an operating system.

Thanks for info. Are you running XP with Virtual Box?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A Windows 7 OEM edition costs about $100, or you can go with an "Upgrade" retail version and that runs about the same. I see no reason to buy XP at this late stage for running in virtualization.

OP
CyberCrone
Reaction score
A Windows 7 OEM edition costs about $100, or you can go with an "Upgrade" retail version and that runs about the same. I see no reason to buy XP at this late stage for running in virtualization.

Thanks for this info. Yes, since I first posted I discovered you're quite right. However, I have read that some people have had issues with older software not running under Windows 7, and since I don't intend to buy any new Windows software* - my use for Windows on Mac will be minimal - or do anything needing Windows 7's new features, I decided to play it safe.

*The only reason for running XP at all is that I have several programs on my PC that don't have Mac versions and that save data in proprietary formats that are not transferable to any other format, such as MyInfo, which I MUST have, my work is crippled without it. But otherwise I'm going completely Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for this info. Yes, since I first posted I discovered you're quite right. However, I have read that some people have had issues with older software not running under Windows 7, and since I don't intend to buy any new Windows software* - my use for Windows on Mac will be minimal - or do anything needing Windows 7's new features, I decided to play it safe.

*The only reason for running XP at all is that I have several programs on my PC that don't have Mac versions and that save data in proprietary formats that are not transferable to any other format, such as MyInfo, which I MUST have, my work is crippled without it. But otherwise I'm going completely Mac.

I had a peek at your blog and I just have to compliment you on it. Both the visuals and content are wonderful and unique.

With that said, I think you'll be surprised to learn that Windows 7 is actually very compatible with most Windows XP software, because in all honesty, it's not all that different from XP "under the hood". There are some new security features that could cause compatibility issues, but they are very few and far between.

XP is beyond its development cycle, and in fact, Microsoft is getting ready to officially stop supporting it. What this means to you is that they will no longer issue security patches for it, rendering it unsafe to use in any capacity where it will have access to the Internet. I would strongly urge you to check with the vendors who make the software you intend to use to see if their packages are Windows 7 friendly. I think you'll be surprised to find that most, if not all of them, are.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're still uncertain, see if the software you need is listed in the Windows 7 compatibility database that MS has available (see here). What software will you be running? Some of us might have experience with it in Windows 7.

OP
CyberCrone
Reaction score
I had a peek at your blog and I just have to compliment you on it. Both the visuals and content are wonderful and unique.

With that said, I think you'll be surprised to learn that Windows 7 is actually very compatible with most Windows XP software, because in all honesty, it's not all that different from XP "under the hood". There are some new security features that could cause compatibility issues, but they are very few and far between.

XP is beyond its development cycle, and in fact, Microsoft is getting ready to officially stop supporting it. What this means to you is that they will no longer issue security patches for it, rendering it unsafe to use in any capacity where it will have access to the Internet. I would strongly urge you to check with the vendors who make the software you intend to use to see if their packages are Windows 7 friendly. I think you'll be surprised to find that most, if not all of them, are.

OH - I wish I had seen this before I bought XP. I didn't think about Microsoft ceasing to support it, altho anyone with a brain ought to realize this - sigh. However, it's probably not a huge mistake because, as I mentioned earlier, I will be using it mainly to run one or two essential programs that create data not transferable to Mac programs, and not much else.

I'm so pleased you like the blog - I'm proud of the design, which is still in progress (note there is no nav bar yet), and much more content to be added. Some of it about being broke and on the street in L.A. in the 1940s and 1950s.

OP
CyberCrone
Reaction score
If you're still uncertain, see if the software you need is listed in the Windows 7 compatibility database that MS has available (see here). What software will you be running? Some of us might have experience with it in Windows 7.

I already bought XP - should have been patient and waited for replies here. Sigh. This link will be useful, though, because I've been wondering about upgrading my two PCs. Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm so pleased you like the blog - I'm proud of the design, which is still in progress (note there is no nav bar yet), and much more content to be added. Some of it about being broke and on the street in L.A. in the 1940s and 1950s.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your stories! Count me amongst your fans :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.