External hard drive failure?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a newly convert from Windows to Mac. Have a question, earlier today I dropped a photo frame to my external drive and Mac Mini. The OS froze immediately I had to cold reboot my Mac. Thankfully Mac seems to boot OK but my external drive won't mount. I can't find it on Finder. On Disk Utility I managed to see it (occasionally) and tried to do Repair Disk.

After a long process DU said it can't repair the disk and it immediately disappeared from DU. So is this a tell tale sign of hardware failure? I plugged it in Windows and it's Disk Manager can see the disk but of course it can't read it since it was formatted with MAC OS FS.

Anyone has a suggestion to try? It's my time machine backup drive so I'm not too worried about the content so I can just erase it all if I have to.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It does sounds like a hardware failure of some sort since Disk Utility can't even see the drive. Just to be sure, try a different cable and USB port on the Mac. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid you need a new drive. Or perhaps even just the enclosure for it.

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to try plugging it in to my Windows laptop and get Disk Manager to reformat it (if I can).

If that works I may use it again as my Time Machine drive. However does anyone know how to verify disk integrity? Is there a software you can use to check if the disk is OK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to try plugging it in to my Windows laptop and get Disk Manager to reformat it (if I can).

If that works I may use it again as my Time Machine drive. However does anyone know how to verify disk integrity? Is there a software you can use to check if the disk is OK?

TechTool Pro is the only one I am really familiar with that will do a surface scan. Actually Drive Genius will also, but I have version 2 and quite honestly don't think very highly of it. TTP is an excellent piece of software, but pricey.

OP
X
Reaction score
I plugged it in again on my Windows laptop and now that one won't read it. So I'm pretty sure the drive is toast.

Darn, I guess I have to get a new external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.