Non-Mac computer woes; two questions: Is this legal? And would it work anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop (yes, I know, PC; but most of the software for my degree is Windows-only, so - with my limited funds - a PC was the best choice for me right now).

The issue I'm having is neither with the hardware, nor with Windows 7 itself; it's with all the (seemingly non-uninstallable) junk HP bundled-in with it that keeps making it freeze or BSoD.

I've gathered that the simplest option is just to reinstall Windows, but it seems a bit unfair for me to have to pay for another install of Windows because HP spoiled the one I already have.

Thus, my question; if I were to borrow a Windows 7 Home Premium retail install disk from a friend of mine, and then use the product activation key from the HP-specific OEM install currently on my computer to activate it, would that count as "piracy" (bearing in mind that I paid for the licence to have one install of that edition of Win7 running on this computer when I purchased it, and I would still only have one install of it afterwards), and - indeed - would it even work, or is that activation key a one time only affair that has been "used up", as it were?

Cheers for any help or advice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you have a windows 7 key sticker on your computer, that computer has a license. As long as the key matches the version you're using it's legit. So if your sticker says "Windows 7 Home Premium" it's legal and would work. If it doesn't it isn't.

There is a limit to activations, however, it's only tied to automated ones. After that it's easy to call MS, explain why you need to reactivate and get it activated (system reinstalls is a common reason).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion DV7 laptop (yes, I know, PC; but most of the software for my degree is Windows-only, so - with my limited funds - a PC was the best choice for me right now).

The issue I'm having is neither with the hardware, nor with Windows 7 itself; it's with all the (seemingly non-uninstallable) junk HP bundled-in with it that keeps making it freeze or BSoD.

I've gathered that the simplest option is just to reinstall Windows, but it seems a bit unfair for me to have to pay for another install of Windows because HP spoiled the one I already have.

Thus, my question; if I were to borrow a Windows 7 Home Premium retail install disk from a friend of mine, and then use the product activation key from the HP-specific OEM install currently on my computer to activate it, would that count as "piracy" (bearing in mind that I paid for the licence to have one install of that edition of Win7 running on this computer when I purchased it, and I would still only have one install of it afterwards), and - indeed - would it even work, or is that activation key a one time only affair that has been "used up", as it were?

Cheers for any help or advice :)

First of all I don't know if it will work. And, I am not at all certain of the legality either. I do know that what you actually purchase is the license rather than the software, so I (engineer rather than lawyer self) could buy your argument.
We have at least one lawyer on this forum so I will defer to his analysis regarding legality.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved to a more appropriate forums. Doesn't belong in Schweb's Lounge.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may not work. As mike stated, there's likely a Product ID sticker on the machine. However, that sticker is for a specific OEM product, in this case HP.

Installing a retail version of Windows 7 and using a HP OEM Product ID may not work. I have seen that same scenario fail before but it was with a Dell OEM Product ID.

MS tightened up the PIDs back around 2004 or 05 and issued a separate PID series for OEM products.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.