How to copy or move photos from iPhoto to external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air
Hi,

I've searched the forum and found 1 answer on this matter but it was not very detailed. I've used PC all my life and just switched to Mac and switching at 50 something is not exactly a good idea! Would really appreciate it if someone can give me a more detailed answer. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you looking to backup your iPhoto Library, or just have it stored on a different drive other than the internal one?

C

chas_m

0. Make a backup of your iPhoto Library file at the very least.

1. Copy the entire iPhoto Library to the external drive. Leave the "original" one where it is for now.

2. Double-click on the "new" iPhoto Library file. iPhoto will open and make that the default library.

3. Delete the "old" iPhoto Library.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air
I would like to backup my photos on an external drive.

Reaction score
0. Make a backup of your iPhoto Library file at the very least.

1. Copy the entire iPhoto Library to the external drive. Leave the "original" one where it is for now.

2. Double-click on the "new" iPhoto Library file. iPhoto will open and make that the default library.

3. Delete the "old" iPhoto Library.

Please forgive me for momentarily highjacking this thread, but Chas I've been meaning to ask you ... shouldn't your avatar be something more like this? :D

sp_1204_03.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.