Any way to avoid flash and still view video content?

Reaction score
I do not want any adobe flash on my mac. Is there any way around this? How do I view youtube videos embedded on other sites without getting adobe flash on my mbp?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you gsahli. I tried this after you suggested it but I get a screen that says " your download will start in 0 seconds and under that:

"missing plugin"

What plugin is missing before I can download VLC instead of flash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There is no alternative to play Flash content

The best alternative is to install flash but add a flash blocker to your browser that only plays flash content when you choose to click on a flash movie and play it

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you louishen.

That is appalling isn't it? Adobe then, has a monopoly on video content on the internet. Who knew?

Are you sure though? It seems unbelievable.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you want to view Flash content, you need Flash. It's as simple as that. You can't view content in a format that doesn't exist on their servers. That said, there are some workarounds for some sites (such as using VLC to play YouTube clips).

The problem here isn't actually Adobe. In fact, Flash provides a method of viewing content that solves a lot of problems. Given that each browser supports different video codecs, Flash provides a simple cross platform and browser agnostic means of serving up content. It could be argued that Adobe has managed to make things easier for content distributors. Don't get me wrong - I hate Flash with a passion. That said, from a distributors point of view, it's great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thank you louishen.

That is appalling isn't it? Adobe then, has a monopoly on video content on the internet. Who knew?

Are you sure though? It seems unbelievable.

Actually, they don't. There are plenty of other codecs. It's just that the content you want to view was created with Flash. That's a decision the creator made, not a monopoly.

You have a choice, don't view the content.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your interesting ideas. I chatted to a friend who is an IT teacher and he said that my problem should be resolved soon when flash will become more or less redundant as html5 becomes the new thing for web content. I should just wait a while until html5 supersedes flash and i will then be able to view all the flash video content on my MBP without having to install any adobe plugins or add-ons.

Is there any truth in this?

OP
G
Reaction score
If you want to view Flash content, you need Flash. It's as simple as that. You can't view content in a format that doesn't exist on their servers. That said, there are some workarounds for some sites (such as using VLC to play YouTube clips).

The problem here isn't actually Adobe. In fact, Flash provides a method of viewing content that solves a lot of problems. Given that each browser supports different video codecs, Flash provides a simple cross platform and browser agnostic means of serving up content. It could be argued that Adobe has managed to make things easier for content distributors. Don't get me wrong - I hate Flash with a passion. That said, from a distributors point of view, it's great.

The reason I find it astonishing is that if I want to view a jpeg file, or an mpeg file, or a tiff or avi file, there are very many options as to what software I choose to view the content. But with flash content I am restricted to adobe software. Surely alternative methods of viewing the content directly have been developed. No?

OP
G
Reaction score
Actually, they don't. There are plenty of other codecs. It's just that the content you want to view was created with Flash. That's a decision the creator made, not a monopoly.

You have a choice, don't view the content.

I cannot accept your argument. What you are saying is that all the video content on youtube was created using flash and therefore I need flash to view the content. That is patently not true. producers of content for youtube use all manner of means to create video content, yet I can only view the material if i have flash installed on my machine. It doesn't make sense to me.

OP
G
Reaction score
Flash provides a method of viewing content that solves a lot of problems. Given that each browser supports different video codecs, Flash provides a simple cross platform and browser agnostic means of serving up content.

Thank you van smith. I understand your explanation. I just find it astonishing that it seems that flash ALONE "provides a simple cross platform ... means of serving up content." Are there no other options to decode the video content? Most of the material I am interested in viewing was (i believe) created apart from any adobe merchandise. And yet I am forced to install adobe goods on my system in order to view the material. It's trippy and unbelievable to me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The reason I find it astonishing is that if I want to view a jpeg file, or an mpeg file, or a tiff or avi file, there are very many options as to what software I choose to view the content. But with flash content I am restricted to adobe software. Surely alternative methods of viewing the content directly have been developed. No?
Yes but Flash content has to be viewed through a Flash player and while there are alternative Flash plugins, Adobe's is leagues ahead of those given that it is an Adobe technology. It's impossible not to use a plugin and in all honesty, if you need to view Flash content, the official plugin from Adobe is the best route to take.

I cannot accept your argument. What you are saying is that all the video content on youtube was created using flash and therefore I need flash to view the content. That is patently not true. producers of content for youtube use all manner of means to create video content, yet I can only view the material if i have flash installed on my machine. It doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, but when video is uploaded to YouTube, it is transcoded as a Flash video. It doesn't matter what you upload since it's all converted anyway.

Now, you could use YouTube's HTML5 beta but that only supports a portion of their videos (this number grows by the day).

OP
G
Reaction score
hmf! I just tried to install gmail phone calling app. I can't do that unless i have flash on my machine. I don't want flash. *sigh* what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

They have the option to use another method of delivery, as Van has stated YouTube transcodes the media. Really, they do, it's just YouTube is convenient. YouTube made the decision to utilize flash (along with many other providers).

Now, in regard to HTML5.. I wouldn't hold your breath. While it's moving away from things like flash, if previous experience on the Internet is any indication, it may or may not be widely adopted. Is it likely to? Perhaps. I simply wouldn't count on it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you Mike/Dysfunction :)

Despair is not as bad as it's cracked up to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ClickToFlash will play the HTML5 version as well if it's available. Alternatively, if you opt-in to the HTML5 beta, you obviate the need for an extension.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.