My Files Keep Getting Renamed

V

vondistler

Well, everytime i download a .rar file it gets renamed to .rar.txt
i can open them by erasing the .txt part.

but, when i try to download rom files such as for a snes or an atari 2600 it renames them to .bin, can i turn this off?

it happens with other file types too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It has nothing to do with your Mac, it has to do with the fact that the web server your downloading these from doesn't support the MIME type of the file you're downloading so Safari just appends .txt like it's a text file.

You'd want to contact the owner of the site to let them know.

OP
V

vondistler

schweb said:
It has nothing to do with your Mac, it has to do with the fact that the web server your downloading these from doesn't support the MIME type of the file you're downloading so Safari just appends .txt like it's a text file.

You'd want to contact the owner of the site to let them know.
but how come when i try to rename the files to the right extension(the rar.txt problem is no big, im talking the rom extensions) it just renames them back to .bin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
vondistler said:
but how come when i try to rename the files to the right extension(the rar.txt problem is no big, im talking the rom extensions) it just renames them back to .bin?
I'm not sure about that one. Are you sure they're Mac compatible files?

OP
V

vondistler

idk,

the file extensions are to open with the emulators. it doesnt happen to my .nes files(for nintendo entertainment system) but only on my .smc(i think) and my .at26 files, both are for emulators.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.