Can't get iTunes to work

Reaction score
Before my macbook pro went down, I had transferred my iTunes media folder off of my hard drive and onto an external drive. I purchased a new macbook air, and while I've gone into preferences and set the default media folder to the one on the external drive and deleted the old one, none of my music, movies, playlists, anything is coming up. In order to play anything, I essentially have to redownload the entire file back onto the computer, which I do not want to do. Why can't iTunes use the file on the external drive? What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It can but you need to re-import all of your music into iTunes still. It won't create a new library, it will use the one on the drive, as you have sert it to, but you still need the data to be transferred in order for iTunes to be able to read it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.