Preview fonts in Word 2011

Reaction score
Hi,

In Word 2010 you could preview fonts formating before you applied them. Then to apply the preview you liked, you only had to click the selected font name.

It seems that Word 2011 can't do this. Really, I hope that this is not true because it would be a serious problem.

Could you help me? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do you mean see the font as it is in the font list?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

I mean that when I'm writing with Word 2010 and I don't know what font suits better, I can go to the menu and only moving the pointer over the list of font names the text selected changes. That was very useful.

Now, with Word 2011, the text doesn't changes and it is a terrible waste of time to have to click each time on each font.

I don't know if I explained it correctly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I honestly don't remember ever seeing that in Word 2010 (my PC with Office 2010 is at my work place) but I'll test it Monday to see what you're referring to. But first... do you have any third party font managers or font enhancement programs installed on your Win machine by chance?

In any event, Word 2011 (Office 2011) does not incorporate that feature. In other words it's not available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting the link. As I stated above, I have Office 2010 and have never used that feature which is why I haven't noticed it was available.

However, again as stated in my previous reply, that feature is not available in Word 2011.

Reaction score
Preview fonts in word 2011

Okay... help is here!
it IS available in word 2011 for mac!!
Here's what you do...

When you are in word...
go to the word drop down menu and choose "preferences"
and in the window that pops up choose "general"
and then in settings the ninth choice is:
"WYSIWYG font and style menus"
which stands for "what you see is what you get".
check the box!
Simple.
Done.
Voila!
:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I guess I misunderstood your original question. Yes, I have that checked off in my Word 2011 preferences. As a matter of fact, it's checked off by default. However, it's not as easy to preview the fonts and styles as you state:

From MS.....

WORD

Select the text that you want to format.
On the Home tab, in the Font group:
Click the Font box down-arrow, then move the pointer over the fonts.
Click the Font Size box down arrow, then move the pointer over the font sizes.
Click the Text Highlight Color button down-arrow, then move the pointer over the highlight or fill colors.
Click the Font Color button down-arrow, then move the pointer over the font colors.
To apply the previewed formatting, click the selected font name, font size, or color.
To cancel live previewing without applying any changes, press ESC.
For more information about formatting in Word, see Formatting.

Just as easy to do it the other way which is why I don't use the above method. But if it's easy for you, by all means. Anyway, thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Reaction score
Did you ever have any luck finding a solution?

sugoru:

Did you ever have any luck finding a solution? I totally understood your question and am having the same problem. I can't seem to find an explanation for this anywhere.

When you said you could do this in Word 2010, was that also on a Mac? I am beginning to question if that was a Windows 7, specific operating system feature that Word was using. I'm still fairly new to Lion, and am struggling with some of these issues.

Please let me know if you ever were able to figure out how to preview fonts before applying them. It's so helpful to do this!

Thanks!!

William

Reaction score
preview fonts in Mac Word

Just adding my question -- I also need to know the answer to being able to preview fonts without applying them -- does anyone have new info or a solution to this?
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also need to know the answer to being able to preview fonts without applying them -- does anyone have new info or a solution to this?

Did you read through the thread above your post? The answer is still the same.

Reaction score
has anyone found an answer to this?

Hi,

I was just reading through this thread and seem to be experiencing the same problem mentioned. (I'm using Word 2011 on a new 2013 Macbook Pro with Mavericks). I've tried all the ideas suggested above but none of them seem to work so I was just wondering if anyone else has been able to find a solution?

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.