Parallels causing slow internet?

Reaction score
Okay my internet on the iMac has been somewhat slower since day 1, but since either installing windows or parallels or setting up the kids as a separate user account it is slower than molasses. And we have 15Mbps down (my phone is faster than the iMac right now). What do I need to? Exit Coherence? Turn off Parallels? (I've already made sure all the kids stuff is truly off and I'm running Chrome -Safari is marginally better).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
My Macbook was really slow loading the internet and I had to plug in two DNS numbers and then it worked normally...

Reaction score
I found Parallels slowed my mac rather than just Internet. So moved to Oracle's free Vitualbox and find that faster.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your normal OS X connection OK? If it is, something may be wrong with the way Parallels is setup since Parallels uses your OS X connection through virtualization. Remember, Parallels runs Windows from a large file in a virtual session that in turn runs in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I use Parallels for 8 hours per day and do not see a slowdown. Under Mac I see 19MB down and under Parallels I see 18MB down. On your system, how much ram is in your Mac and how much have you allocated to Parallels - I have 4GB installed (using white iMac) and 1GB allocated to Parallels running W7.

As for the DNS number this is important. How are you connected to your ISP - are you directly connected to the modem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Go to Settings>Network>Advanced>DNS>(Click on the "+" at the bottom left area) and then input these two separate number sequences:

then hit apply or save or whatever if there is an option to do that, and then exit out of the settings and restart safari

Tell me if it works!

OP
D
Reaction score
No -my internet is slow on whatever platform or program. I'm going to try updating the DNS as suggested and will report back. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.