Portable, Bootable Ubuntu on USB Drive

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to install Ubuntu to my flash drive so that it is bootable on all computers. As of now, I can get it working on my Windows computer but can not boot Ubuntu on my Mac. I am well aware of how to choose the partition to boot from.

I am unsure if it is possible to do this, as Windows generally uses MBR and Mac uses GUID Partition Table for their partition map scheme. Ideally, I would also like to multiple partitions for other operating systems (Fedora, etc.), and a blank partition for personal data. If this isn't possible and all files must be on one partition, I would like for the Ubuntu system files to be hidden, but I am also unsure of how to do this.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

William

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The last time I looked the Ubuntu web site had step-by-step instructions for creating a Ubuntu USB boot disk for Mac. However, their reccommendation was to use DVD, and looking at their instructions, I was inclined to agree.

If I can find the link I will post it back in this post.

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.