iPhone 4S Outgoing Call Problems: muted/speaker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch 16gigs RAM i7 - iPhone 6 Plus - 27 inch Thunderbolt Display - iPad Air 2
I got my phone a month ago and it's great but I've been having to call everyone I call twice now bc they can't hear me the first time I call. It's on like 75% of the calls. I've looked this up and it seems A LOT of people are dealing with this with now acknowledgement from Apple yet. Now I was trying to make a call and speaker goes on before I even bring it to my ear and the person cannot hear me, so annoying. I couldn't even call tech support because they couldn't hear me.

I reset the phone after numerous failed tests and it worked fine but this shouldn't be happening to literally "the best phone on the planet". Do you think that this will be a software fix? or did Apple ship a bunch of bad proximity sensors with the 4S? A standard google search for the issue pulls up a lot of different people dealing with this issue but no nailed down fix. Anyone else dealing with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've noticed that, when taking a call from my wife at least, there's about a 3 second gap from the time I answer to when she can actually hear me. I doubt it's the proximity sensor because I usually just use the speakerphone. Whether or not it's a hardware or software issue, who knows. Wait for 5.1 to see if it fixes it. If not, start calling Apple.

OP
AppleRecords
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch 16gigs RAM i7 - iPhone 6 Plus - 27 inch Thunderbolt Display - iPad Air 2
It's a little more involved than that, I've gotten the delayed call on my 4 before, just got used to it but this is more like the speaker in the receiver is disconnected for that call no matter what you do. Then it would do that and automatically goto speaker when making a call. So I'm on speaker and the button won't switch it off AND the person can't hear me. Thanks for the reply, sounds like your issue might just be routine calling stuff if it doesn't happen all the time.

Ever since I did a reset it works as it should but it's pretty troubling this early. I wish they would just address it and maybe there will be a software fix bc I really don't want to go back to the store and deal with it. Is the Genius Bar free?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Interesting. My wife had this issue - on multiple occasions. I actually assumed it was related to her bluetooth - but interesting that this issue is surfacing elsewhere.

Reaction score
Did you guys find a solution to the mentioned problem?? I was also having the same problem , please advice.

OP
AppleRecords
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I got the total muted outgoing and only working in speaker problem I reset the phone and didn't have the problem for a few days but now it's popping up again where I have to call people twice for them to hear me. Try resetting, its a quick fix but hopefully Apple addresses this before my warranty runs out. I want to bring it in but I don't want to go through the trouble of transferring everything again.

Reaction score
A Solution

Have similar situation. Most of the time, audio is muted after dialing a number / holding the phone the right way. Audio always work fine when on speaker.

So, what works for me, is after dialing a number (speaker off), press the speaker on and right away press the same button again to turn it off. Audio will work right away, without having to use speaker only.

Geez, hope that wasn't confusing. Basically, dial the number, then tap the speaker icon twice, and then you'll instantly hear the ringing of the number dialed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Has anyone else got any solution to this?

I noticed it as well. As soon as I answer my phone, it has a 3 sec gap before caller can hear me talking and vice versa.

Reaction score
Muting my incoming or outoing calls

My husband gifted each other iPhone 4S earlier this month and my iPhone worked just fine until two weeks ago. When he would call me, I could hear him but he could not hear me. When I called him, he could not hear me but I could hear him. When I turned the speaker, we could hear one another.

I, too, thought it was my chubby :Smirk: cheek hitting the mute icon at first but found out that was not the case.

Finally, after reading all the posts on recommended solutions, I decided to reset my iPhone 4S. Made outgoing and received incoming calls and thus far, all is okay. Will keep my fingers crossed!

Other than this, we STILL love our iPhone 4S.

Reaction score
A week after resetting my iPhone 4S, my husband called me and I could hear him but he could not hear me; the mute was turned on automatically when I answered the call. This happened again and again. We called Apple Support and the gentleman asked me to press and hold down the off button a the top of my iPhone 4S for fifteen seconds. When I did as he instructed, now my husband can hear me. Still . . . I wonder how long will I be able to receive a call without my iPhone going mute automatically? I LOVE my iPhone but this is getting redicules. I hope Apple can prove to us "converted" customers that we were NOT wrong to buy iPhones as I am getting a $inking feeling that we may have made an expen$ive mistake.

Reaction score
Mute problem continues

Glad to read that Apple is aware of the problem because the issue has not been "fixed" or resolved: having the same problem of muting when I answer the call. I performed a 15 sec. hard shutdown again and the other person I called can then hear me. Next step: remove the Otter Box cover and try to make calls on my iPhone 4S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to read that Apple is aware of the problem because the issue has not been "fixed" or resolved: having the same problem of muting when I answer the call. I performed a 15 sec. hard shutdown again and the other person I called can then hear me. Next step: remove the Otter Box cover and try to make calls on my iPhone 4S.

Removing the Otter Box will have zero impact on this.

Reaction score
Great . . . A separate HD anti-glare film skin was placed over the iPhone 4S by the Apple technician when we purchased our iPhones. Then we walked over to the AT&T store and purchased the Otter Box Defender that also has a hard clear skin on it as well. Could there be an issue / problem having TWO clear skin covers? Apple recommended removing the iPhone 4S from the Otter Box and see what happens. Could it be possible that cold weather that condensation between the skins affects the iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great . . . A separate HD anti-glare film skin was placed over the iPhone 4S by the Apple technician when we purchased our iPhones. Then we walked over to the AT&T store and purchased the Otter Box Defender that also has a hard clear skin on it as well. Could there be an issue / problem having TWO clear skin covers? Apple recommended removing the iPhone 4S from the Otter Box and see what happens. Could it be possible that cold weather that condensation between the skins affects the iPhone?

I don't use a screen protector and have had the problem with and without a case. If there is a condensation issue, you'd be having far bigger issues than this.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Let's hope they come up with a fix for this - it's been very problematic for my wife yet oddly I've probably only experienced it twice - but then no one ever calls me on that line ..yet. We were actually considering a trip to the Genius bar - but reading that article leads me to think we'll wait and let Apple come up with a fix.

Reaction score
Drove 100+ miles to and from our nearest Apple store yesterday. Techs updated "fix" on my iPhone. Problem still exists today. Going back and returning our iPhones and buying regular flip phones from Verizon (our carrier). We still have our previous flip phones and that still work. Sorry Apple, thanks but no thanks to iPhones; we need dependable phones.

C

chas_m

I'm sorry you had a problem with your iPhones, but I have to point out that Apple has sold many tens of millions (over 100 million at least) iPhones. I suspect this would not be the case if they didn't work.

My two (original iPhone and iPhone 4) work great, the former after 4.5 years of use.

With respect, going back to flip phones because your iPhones didn't work out is a bit like buying a typewriter because your word processor lost a file, don't you think?

Why don't you look into getting an iPhone 4? VERY highly regarded and popular and cheaper than the new iPhone 4S as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" , Macbook 13" Unibody 2.4MHz , iPhone 4S
I am having the same intermittent outgoing call problems with my 4S on Telstra in Australia as expressed by this thread. I now call , activate the speaker mode , hear the calling tone , and then revert back to normal. This seems to work for me , but an Apple fix would be better.

Reaction score
there's talk of iOS 5.1 possibly fixing this from some post of people using the developer beta. Hopefully they fix this. I think I'm about to go back to my iPhone4 to get some dependability. this has by far been my worst iPhone. Ive had all but the 3g.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.