Files Have Vanished

Reaction score
Hi

Im running Snow Leopard on a 24 inch iMac.

Attached to this I have a 1TB Western Digital MyBook HD

Today I copied some files from the HD to a 32GB flash drive so that a friend could work on the footage in After Effects. I attempted to copy three folders - the first two totalled 16.9GB and the third was approx 8gb. The first two folders copied but the third created a message stating that there was not enough space available on the flash drive (there should have been). I attempted to copy individual files across and this worked but I didnt copy them all

I ejected the flash drive and this evening came to copy the third folder to a new flash drive supplied by the friend.

To my dismay I discovered that although all three folders were still on the HD they were all showing as empty! Additionally several other folders containing audio (dialogue) and video files were also empty on the same HD.

Luckily I have the first flash drive with the majority of the footage but two other sets of footage and two sets of audio (the boom mic vesions of all the above) have gone. They are not in trash.

How can I retrieve the data? I dont think time machine is working here as nothing happened when i ran it?

Another friend may potentially have all the video footage but the audio existed only on this drive.

HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The more you access that drive, the less the chance of recovering those files. Maybe someone will have a simpler tip, but I'd say you need to invest in some data recovery software, which isn't cheap. I've not used such software, so I can't recommend any, but someone else will. Just don't be saving more things on that drive in the meantime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.