Desktop Permission Denied

Reaction score
Anytime I try to open my Desktop from the finder I get this message: "The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

When I try to open the desktop from a terminal cd ~/desktop, it says permission denied.

It started when an excel document showed up on my desktop that I cannot delete.

Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Right click the Desktop folder in Finder > Get Info > Sharing & Permissions. What does it have listed under that? Does your user have "Read & Write" permissions? If not, change it so you do.

OP
A
Reaction score
That works. Thank you. However, I still have a file on the desktop which I cannot delete. Anytime I try to delete it I get a message saying The item “042B9300” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check the permissions on the file the same way you did for the Desktop folder. Ensure that you have read & write privileges. Once you do, you should be able to delete it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.