HELP, I am an idiot

S

sooperspeed

So I have proved how much of an idiot I am. I am on a short vacation with my fiance and I spilled part of a beer on the keyboard of my ibook.... I sat it on the fan in our hotel room for about 12 hours so it should be pretty dry, I think. When I initially turned it on, the screen was fine, then went to a weird blank screen, but you could still see that it was lit. Anyone had this happen to you?

I am new to the forum, so any help is really really appreciated. I just want to make sure I cover the bases when cleaning it when I get back home. It seems to be ok, other than the beer smell right now. I also want to make sure that I didn't perminently damage the screen, keyboard, etc.

Thanks

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
It's possible that something was damaged if you turned it on while there were still traces of moisture inside. I would suggest removing the keyboard and battery, unplugging it, and letting it thoroughly dry out.

Reaction score
Padawan said:
It's possible that something was damaged if you turned it on while there were still traces of moisture inside. I would suggest removing the keyboard and battery, unplugging it, and letting it thoroughly dry out.

If you have an older gas stove, I've found that putting things over the pilot light helps dry them both faster and more thoroughly. The heat is not so intense that it would hurt anything, just enough to help drive the moisture out.

Also, if you turned the ibook upside down right after you spilled beer on it and then flipped it back over, its very likely that some liquid got down inside the computer. (This happened with one of my keyboards.)

OP
W

WeirdMorph

Hm that`s ok just dry it thoroughly and it will wake up. My friends cat did something "strange" with his ibook I mean some of its urine got into i boook%))) that was the most sh...ttiest smell out of it^)))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.