Help with uninstalling and reinstalling windows

Reaction score
Hi. I just got an iMac and am having some troubles. I used bootcamp to install windows 7, no problem. I installed 3Ds Max but had to delete it and now I'm having issues. I use the student version of the program, but it seems I'm not catching everything when I delete. Long story short, frustration has set it, it's finals week, and I want to delete my windows partition and start over reinstalling it. I'm not the greatest with computers so I don't want to mess it up. Is it as easy as backing up my things, removing my bootcamp partition and reinstalling it? I just can't afford to mess anything up, I need the program to work asap. Any help would be great! Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a drastic solution but if you really need to reinstall Windows 7, you can try this method:

First: Download the free WinClone and make a backup of your Windows 7 partition (unless you want to install Windows 7 clean - backing up is not necessary).

Second: Backup your entire OS X installation before proceeding. After which open the Boot Camp Assistant, click on create partition, select remove the Boot Camp partition. That will revert your hard drive space back to OS X. The BC partition will have been removed.

Third: Start over. Create a new BC partition the same size as the previous one. Install Windows 7. You can restore your WinClone backup if you choose.

OP
K
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to go about this? I don't want to do anything risky. It's brand new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No and IMHO steps two and three is the way to go. Never got Winclone to work yet.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but I wanted to confirm before I began. I have a late-2011 iMac 27in running Lion. I used bootcamp and installed Windows 7 32 bit. I now need to run Windows 7 64 bit instead.

I would think I could use the same procedure suggested above to perform the steps needed. Backup Lion, remove the 32 bit via Bootcamp, create a new partition via Bootcamp and install the 64 bit version. Does that sound about right or might there be other things I would need to do?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.