outlook 2011 for Mac .PST import issues

Reaction score
While trying to import a .PST from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2011 for Mac, I've encountered an issue which i cannot resolve. Certain emails from the original .PST aren't transferring. for instance, there is a count of 64 in the Inbox, that when imported is reduced to 14
Certain Email Folders that I've added are empty, when others match the original count

is there something im doing incorrectly or is this a known issue in the app?

is there a workaround or a third party program to address and resolve this issue?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
When I switched to Apple from Windows and ported Outlook, I had to call MS tech support for a hang up and found them very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I support Outlook 2011
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for your compliments on MS Support. I am with the Office 2011 group at Microsoft, and support Outlook 2011 specifically.

A corrupt item may be skipped during an import. Here are some things to try:

1. Import the PST into Windows Outlook. Do the 14 missing items appear there? If so we know they made them to the PST.

2. Attempt to remove the corruption. The best and quickest way I use is your mail server. When you are storing email in a PST, you are archiving them and removing them from your Mail Server. If you are using Exchange, this makes the process extremely easy. Sync the Windows Outlook, and Mac Outlook (Maclook) to your Server. Using Windows Outlook, move the items from your locally stored PST to an Active Folder (one that will sync to the Mail Server). The message will then appear in your Outlook 2011 inbox, and will undergo Mime Content Conversion, which may convert the message and remove this corruption.

Mail Items are very easy to corrupt, and programs have been developed to work around corruption. Outlook 2011 is still new and developing, some sidesteps may have to be taken.

-Shane Toutges
Microsoft Business Enterprise Support
Office 2011 Core Team

Reaction score
OUtlook 2011 database problems

Hello,

since i've installed outlook 2011 for MAC, i've problems with it.
At least 5 times a day it comes and says that i've to rebuild the database.
Why?????? Ik don't know.
Then that database is rebuild and all the mails are gone. i've to go back to an earlier datase and start from there.

I don't know what the problems is but it's very annoying.
When i was working with windows and outlook, i never had those problems.

Greetz,

Ronnie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I support Outlook 2011
Hello,

since i've installed outlook 2011 for MAC, i've problems with it.
At least 5 times a day it comes and says that i've to rebuild the database.
Why?????? Ik don't know.
Then that database is rebuild and all the mails are gone. i've to go back to an earlier datase and start from there.

I don't know what the problems is but it's very annoying.
When i was working with windows and outlook, i never had those problems.

Greetz,

Ronnie

Hello Ronnie,

Do you have any antivirus installed on your Mac? If you do, or you have any other 3rd party application that is interfering with Outlook 2011, you need to remove the Microsoft User Data (MUD) Folder from the scan. A virus scan an corrupt the MUD database, and cause a rebuild.

Also, hold to the limits located in these articles. You don't want more than 5000 emails per folder for optimal performance.

Recommended Mailbox Size Limits - Exchange Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Thinking about Mailbox and Message Size Limits - Exchange Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Outlook users experience poor performance when they work with a folder that contains many items on a server that is running Exchange Server

Outlook and Entourage Users Experience Poor Performance When Using a Folder that Contains Many Items: Exchange 2007 Help

How to troubleshoot performance issues in Outlook 2007
Understanding Database and Log Performance Factors: Exchange 2010 Help

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm trying to move e-mails to Outlook 2011 for Mac Ver 14 from Mail Ver 5.1.
My e-mails are already saved in My Mac, after experiencing a number of problems in Mail. My Account Type is Exchange..I tried importing from Outlook, but to no avail.
Would appreciate any step-by-step help.
First time posting here, so apologies if I miss to provide all basic information to address my question. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I support Outlook 2011
sweetbali,

Sorry for the delay. I have been on vacation. What type of file are you trying to import into Outlook 2011? The only export Apple Mail supports is to an unreadable .MBOX file. Outlook 2011 does .MBOX, but doesn't recognize Apple Mail's .MBOX.

Outlook 2011 does have an import function directly from the Apple Mail database, but was broken by a recent OS update, I believe.

I would recommend syncing your items to Exchange from Apple Mail, then downloading to Outlook 2011.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.