Help with transferring applications & any other data that isn't easily transferrable

Reaction score
I have a late 08 macbook pro where the logic board died. I have a new macbook air, and need to transfer the files over. I've removed the hd and put it in an enclosure and am currently copying files over.

However, I can't transfer the applications as they are registered on the dead computer. How can I move these files so that they think that they are on an authorized computer? Also, are there any other files I need to transfer over besides all of my personal files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a late 08 macbook pro where the logic board died. I have a new macbook air, and need to transfer the files over. I've removed the hd and put it in an enclosure and am currently copying files over.

However, I can't transfer the applications as they are registered on the dead computer. How can I move these files so that they think that they are on an authorized computer? Also, are there any other files I need to transfer over besides all of my personal files?

Normally you can copy applications over just fine. There can be exceptions, particularly in the case of those that are installed via an installer. If you had used the Migration Assistant to migrate the apps and user accounts, even that would be a non-issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
if they're properly licensed the manufacturers will transfer them happily to your new computer (or .. basically deauthorize them on your previous one)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning Migration Assistant. I did not know that it would work with a removed HD from a macbook pro.

Now I have a new issue:

When I did the migration assistant, it created my entire old profile as a new user on my Air, although I had started a brand new one already when I got the Air. All of my old mail and everything is over on the other user. How do I merge these two, especially getting my mail onto my new drive. There were some preferences and weird programming apps that I'd installed on the old cpu that I couldn't figure out how to get off, and I simply just do not want to tinker around with that old profile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.