Super wonky Bluetooth keyboard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Hey!

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011
2,2 i7
4 GB RAM
1 GB graphics
750 HDD
Lion updated and so on...

I use the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard everyday - but starting yesterday, it started acting up like i forgot its birthday!

1: often its having a hard time to connect, system prefs will say its connected, but when I type, nothing happens... If I turn it on and off (the keyboard) enough times, it connects normally (not sure thats a good term to use here XD)

2: randomly, it will ONLY type numbers on the 7-8-9-u-i-o-j-k-l area, all other keys are being ignored - whats up with that?

3: starting yesterday, it simply ignores some keystrokes and misunderstands other strokes.

ie: if I want to turn up the volume - I would press fn + f11, nothing happens, but if I press it again, it gets it. but if I press something else in between those two attempts, it just dosent get it. This applies to ALL key combinations you can think of!

Sometimes when i press a key - it thinks im pressing a totally different key, for instance - I just pressed fn + f11 - and it dimmed the display backlight - and even showed the corresponding on screen graphic for it... Sometimes it just messes up keys, like i pressed cmd, and it typed a "<"

Ive tried EVERYTHING (I think :p) deleting pairing, repaired, resetting the keyboard, flashing PRAM - im out of ideas - HELP ME! :)
I'm actually pleased with the little bugger when its not acting up - and its been working like a charm for months :)
(can it POSSIBLY be connected to me changing its batteries? i just changed em, and plugged som duracells this time - the guy at my local apple stores recommends 2000 mah batteries, but the duracell and the ones it used before are only 1500 - does it make a difference?)

And a totally another thing:

When the keyboard is connected - I cannot click the bluetooth icon in the menubar, well, I can, it just dosent respond at all, untill I click it again, then the BT menu just flashes - because it clicked it twice!

And please excuse any misspellings and bag grammar its kinda late and english is my 2nd languange :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well personally never use recharghables as they do develop memory. Energizer Lithium Ultimate for me. Keyboard last about 8 months and mouse about two-three months.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Odd - i've never used rechargeable batteries either :S

Reaction score
2: randomly, it will ONLY type numbers on the 7-8-9-u-i-o-j-k-l area, all other keys are being ignored - whats up with that?

This point might be a hint. Seems that could be a problem with your keyboard layout.

Have you installed or messed around keyboard layouts lately?

Not sure if it will help, but it is worth a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.