Mac OSX installer not found

Reaction score
Hello everyone

For some reason my installer app is missing. I'm not sure if I accidentally deleted it. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I do have the CD's my Macbook came with. Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm sure I can download the app straight from the CD but I'm having some trouble figuring it out.

Thanks so much

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone

For some reason my installer app is missing. I'm not sure if I accidentally deleted it. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I do have the CD's my Macbook came with. Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm sure I can download the app straight from the CD but I'm having some trouble figuring it out.

Thanks so much

What OS version are we talking about...the 10.6.8 you mentioned...or a different version?

If 10.6.8 or before...most folks don't "download" the app. from the DVD...they just use the DVD when they need to.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moved thread to more appropriate forum.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi Nick

Its version 10.6.8. Not sure if we are on the same page. I am unable to install any programs on my macbook because the "installer" app is missing. Not sure if I can recoup it from the Mac OSX install DVD? If so how would I go about doing that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick

Its version 10.6.8. Not sure if we are on the same page. I am unable to install any programs on my macbook because the "installer" app is missing. Not sure if I can recoup it from the Mac OSX install DVD? If so how would I go about doing that?

Yes...I don't think that we are on the same page!;)

What applications/programs are you trying to install? If these are "non-Apple" applications...then the Mac OS DVD has nothing to do with their installation.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
It is an Apple application. Installer is an application included in Mac OS X (and in its progenitors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP) which extracts and installs files out of .pkg packages. It was created by NeXT, and is now maintained by Apple Inc. Its purpose is to help software developers create uniform software installers. This application is, for some odd reason, missing and I can no longer install applications.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It is an Apple application. Installer is an application included in Mac OS X (and in its progenitors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP) which extracts and installs files out of .pkg packages. It was created by NeXT, and is now maintained by Apple Inc. Its purpose is to help software developers create uniform software installers. This application is, for some odd reason, missing and I can no longer install applications.

Interesting bit of info/history.

Can't you just do an OS reinstall without reformatting/erasing?

OP
F
Reaction score
Is that the best way to go about resolving this issue? And if so how would I go about doing that?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Is that the best way to go about resolving this issue? And if so how would I go about doing that?

Don't know if it is the best but it should reinstall any missing parts of the OS. As to how, boot from your OS disk and choose Install without Erase.

I would a back up first just in case (always a good idea).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.