Trash + error 36. HELP!

Reaction score
Hi!

Yes, I've tried to read related articles about this, but my case seems to be slightly different.

I was re-coding a video file. Process got corrupted somehow. I was importing from a simple USB external and saving the new files back to it as well.

So i got 2 files, which were unfinished and wouldn't play so I deleted them with the whole folder. And now when I try to empty trash, it shows this message:

--------------------------------------------------
The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
--------------------------------------------------

I tried :
1.secure empty..
2.this command: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/

they were saying something about formatting the source drive. Is that the only way really?

thanks, hope u can help me :Grimmace:

Reaction score
If your asking how can you empty your trash, then there are programs on the net that will do this for you. Simply search for "can't empty trash mac" and it should show you a list. Just make sure it works with your version of OS X.

Reaction score
Sounds like the .Trash on the external might be corrupt. Try running Disk Utility on it and verifying/repairing it.

Reaction score
Trash it never worked correctly for me any time I needed it. I would keep looking. It took me around 4 programs before I found one that would work...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.