HP Flash Drive Not Detected

Reaction score
Greetings to All!

Have just bought HP V220w 32 GB Flash Drive.

It seems to work well with Windows but it is not seen/detected in my MAC

1) My USB port is working Fine. ( Tried with others)
2) My Finder Preferences is not a problem
3) I have formatted it with Fat32 in other windows PC also. but thn also it does not work

IT does not show anywhere ...not in finder , system utilities Nowhere

Thank you

Reaction score
Think of it as being a hard drive - because that's how your Mac sees it.

You need to decide if you'll be using it on a PC or on a Mac.

If its a Mac that you want to use it on, then you need to format it as a Mac drive, and then your Mac will be able to see it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not Working! (in Reply MyMac8MyPC)

1) Let it be working as hd ; but it cannot be seen in finder ; i mean nowhere

2) If i format it for Mac also, how to do it?? when i cannot find it anywhere in Mac.

3) I want to use in on both mac and windows..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless of what format the flash drive is using, your Mac should be able to "see" it. Have you tried using Disk Utility from Utilities to see if the HP flash drive shows up there?

If it's a 32 GB flash drive it's likely formatted as FAT-32, possibly NTFS. But either way your Mac should be able to see it. Make sure you try plugging it into every USB port on the Mac in case one of the ports is not working.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A close friend of mine got an HP Flash drive and had the same issues with it. Took it back and purchased a San Disk at my recommendation and it worked perfectly on his Macs and Windows machines. Not sure what is up, but figured I would post this just in case.

Reaction score
Same problem with an HP 8G USB drive

I'm having the same problem with an 8G HP flash drive on a Mac. Plugged it in for the first time last night and it appeared under Devices in Finder. Copied a bunch of files to it (Word docs and Excel spreadsheets) now I cannot access the drive at all - not on finder and not in disk utilities. I can't take the stupid thing back because it contains all my personal info which somebody with more computer expertise than I have could access. This means I am out my purchase price of $17. Ansh I hope you find a solution and share it with us.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have access to a PC, hook the 8 GB HP flash drive to it and it will probably work. If it does work, format the flash drive and return it. It appears HP flash drives are problematic.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, but I wouldn't dare return it unless I personally have deleted all the files.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for your reply, but I wouldn't dare return it unless I personally have deleted all the files.

Plug the drive into your Mac. Open Disk Utility from Applications/Utilities. Does the HP show up there? If so, Erase it FAT32 and then return it.

Let us know if it shows up in Disk Utility.

My friends showed up in Disk Utility but would not mount.

Reaction score
Hi Dennis, I just plugged the USB drive in and it showed up under Devices. I deleted my files from the drive and went into Applications/Disk Utilities and saw the drive there and am in the process of doing a 35-pass secure erase which my computer says will take 5 hours (maybe it means pass 1 will take 5 hours). Yikes! Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks for your reply! Now I can take the stupid thing back and get my money back!

Joyce Keay

Reaction score
Hi again, I was in the middle of doing a 35-pass secure erase when the drive disappeared from Devices again. This time I selected zeroing out data which is in the middle of doing. Should I also do a 7-pass (or more) secure erase?

Thanks.

Reaction score
How do I erase the FAT32 file

Hi, I'm in the middle of doing a 7-pass secure erase. Can you tell me how to erase the FAT32 formatting file? Thanks.

Joyce Keay

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 7 pass secure erase writes binary ones and zeros throughout the entire drive 7 times. Nothing will be left on that drive. Nada, zip, zero. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your assurance that it will be safe to return to the store. Problem solved. Thank you to everybody. Joyce Keay

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do let us know what you end up with and if that solves your issues. I have NEVER once had issues with San Disk drives. I own maybe 6 and every one works with every computer I have ever tried them on, Windows, OSX, Linux, Haiku and even the funky version of Linux that came with my Acer Aspire Netbook! :D

OP
A
Reaction score
No ! Its not working!

Hello All!

1) Have tried all USB ports , but it is not working! ( In reply to chscag)

2)No ! It is not seen in Utility also ( In reply to dtravis7)

But It is working well in windows!

What should i do?

Reaction score
To ansh, If the data that you copied to the HD flash drive is also on your computer and if it is showing up in windows, delete your files from the flash drive, do some sort of security erase, return the HP drive and buy a SanDisk flash drive. I wrote to HP about my problem and got a thoroughly unhelpful response. I'm never buying another HP product.

To dtravis7: A while after my HP flash drive disappeared from site it reappeared on finder, the data I had copied to the flash was also on my computer so I deleted all the files on the flash drive, did a 7-pass secure erase, returned it to staples and bought a SanDisk at Radioshack on sale for about $10 less than the HP flash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.