Mac Freeze

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forums and am having a horendus time with my Mac Pro, info of computer:

2x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon
16GB Ram
500Gig HD
2T - Second HD

All of a sudden my computer started to freeze up yesterday, it happend a few years ago and i cant remember for the life of me, how i fixed it.
IT happend after 5-10 mins of inactivity, somtimes a bit longer, sometimes a bit less. Cant use mouse, nor keyboard, compute fans seem to work fine.
Ran Disk Utilities, but after running Repail Permisions, it said it couldnt repair problem.

Eventually done an Archive and Install, ecveryrhing ran fine and there was no freeze after leaving machine for 10-20 mins. Ran Disk Utilities and the PErmisions were fine, everything looked perfect.

One thing i did notice was when archiving and installing, the computer, while installing did freeze as i left it for 5 mins so instead of re-starting it, i thought id leave it and do something else, it might come back on again – and after an hour i came back and it just finished restating as the grey apple screen had started up, so it managed to work through the freeze.

Later on, went to lunch, came back after an hour and i came bak to a frozen computer again!

Ran DU and it showed a whole load of errors, couldnt run disk repair as it said the program failed after a while while hanging all other programs for at least 5-10 mins, all i could do was move the mouse, not click on anything.

I've purchased MacKeeper and ran all checks and everything thing seems to be running fine.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any soloutions please, can i run any more disk checks to see what could have caused the problem?

You're help would most apprecaited.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Bini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in your system install disc and boot from that, hold down 'C' after the chime, leave Installer and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported. Apart from memory with Apple Hardware Test will diagnose, could be a failing or corrupt hard drive.

And get rid of MacKeeper using the uninstaller. It is crapware big time and will corrupt your computer. Have a look through the threads for MacKeeper.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/259114-mackeeper.html

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for reply

@ MyMac8MyPC – i will try to leaver on machine over night and see if it changes anything. Currently, the screen freezes just after 5 mins of inactivity.

@ harryb2448 –*i do not have the original disks as it was pre-installed by IT department and they dont know where the disks are! Is there another way, i do have a Mac OSX DVD if that helps?

Thanks

Bini

Reaction score
it was pre-installed by IT department and they dont know where the disks are!
LOL... isn't that always what they say? ;P

i do have a Mac OSX DVD if that helps?

Do you mean a retail version? If so (and if it's the same version) then it might work. There is a copy of the Apple Hardware Test there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

I ran the DU off the retail version of the disk and it showed that it repaired the drive and i also ran the repair permissions too, also removed MacKeeper following the proper instructions and all looked fine until i left the machine for 5-10 mins and it froze again!
Is there anything else i could do?

Thanks

Bini

Reaction score
There should be a test on there that will test the memory, but you'll need to run it overnight for an accurate response.

Have you ever taken the cover of the computer off? A lot of times dust builds up and can cause them to freeze up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys, just to let you guys know, i had a guy come over opened up the machine, took the graphics card out as it was making a heavy noise and plugged it back in after a quick hoover (hardly any dust at all!) and everything seems to be working fine!

Thank you all for your help!

Reaction score
Glad to hear it's working ;D You'd be surprised to hear how many times it's just a bad connect causing so many problems. If you want to ensure the best connection possible, remove the graphics card and use a pencil eraser on the contacts. This will clean them properly and give you the best connection possible. Otherwise it might go bad again a few months down the road. Just make sure you only touch the contacts with the eraser and nothing else. Blow off any remains left behind from the eraser. It'll work like new :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.