Dual 1.25 MDD to old 15" CRT monitor - what video adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.3 G5/10.5.8/8gb ram
Just given a friend my old G4 1.25 DP (MDD) and he needs to connect it to an even older Apple Multiple Scan 15AV monitor. If anyone knows what adapter will work please let me know. I've been looking for a while but can't get a definitive answer! The cable from the monitor has 13 pins (male).
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What does the graphic card have in the way of connectors?

Usually Apple Direct Connect, ADC, a system that carries power, picture, sound and USB without mains connections and DVI. Probably ADC if the original card and this is what it looks like:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply Harry, It looks like ADC and DVI-I ports as in the last pic in your link. I have a dvi - vga adapter (male - female) but I think I need a female - female but can't find one with 13 pins! Also tried to find out what the cable is from the monitor but no joy. It's fixed into the monitor and was used with a PM 6500 250, no mains into monitor.
I guess he'll have to buy another monitor!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The cable with no mains sure sounds like an ADC which just has the lead, grey from memory, and the connector with press clips on either side. Have you tried connecting to the ADC on the graphics card? CRT displays are getting on in years now and many are failing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it's a grey lead, no press clips and doesn't fit either connection on the graphics card. A new monitor it is then. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could get the 15 pin to VGA converters back in the day, I might even have one somewhere, but to be honest you will find the resolution on that old 15" a bit disappointing, even if you got the 2 adaptors to work.

Your best bet is to put the monitor on graiglist or ebay and hope someone pretty local is after a vintage mac monitor to hook up to their collectors item performa or beige G3. If you manage to sell it then you can put the money towards a modern 19" flatscreen

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks louishen, looks like that's the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.