iCloud compatibility

Reaction score
newbie to the forum. I have a .mac account on a 2005 iMac that has been used to set up my syncing for my iphones and my ipad. This iMac is not upgradable to Lion. I went to try to set up iCloud on my phones and ipad and got a message to go to mac.com on my computer and follow instructions there. Did that and I still could not access icloud. Is it possible to use iCloud and sync my iphones and ipad without using the old imac? I thought this was doable (no more need for computer to sync, etc) but to get started it is telling me I have to use my old iMac and it doesn't work. Note: although a paid subscriber to me.com, I never upgraded my calendar prior to some deadline they sent. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You have to have a device with iOS 5 or a Mac running OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or a PC with Vista/W7) in order to sign in to iCloud. Do your devices not have iOS 5?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I have upgrade my two iphiones and my ipad to IOS5 but my old Imac is not upgradable to Lion. After I upgraded the iphoens and ipad, when I tried to set up iCloud, I get a message telling me that I have to go ony copmuter and access my .mac account and follow the instructions there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes I have upgrade my two iphiones and my ipad to IOS5 but my old Imac is not upgradable to Lion. After I upgraded the iphoens and ipad, when I tried to set up iCloud, I get a message telling me that I have to go ony copmuter and access my .mac account and follow the instructions there.

Oi. Well my best suggestion is to do it from another computer. If you are able to get to an Apple store, perhaps they can assist you with it. However, since your Mac won't be compatible with iCloud, you won't be able to wirelessly sync via iCloud. You may have to stick to using the sync options in iTunes.

Reaction score
If you put more memory into your 2005 IMac will you then be able to update to Lion? I know I was going to put more memory into my 2006 IMac to be able to when my Husband bought me a new Mac book pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither a 2005 nor a 2006 iMac can be upgraded to Lion. One (2005) has a PPC CPU and can not run either Snow Leopard or Lion. The other (2006) is a Core Duo and likewise can not run Lion but can run Snow Leopard.

C

chas_m

<looks at calendar>

The longer-term solution is to get a newer Mac. Not for just this purpose but for general compatibility with an increasing amount of stuff.

You can set up a NEW iCloud account on your iOS 5 devices but you can use your OLD .mac/.me address with the iOS 5 devices until your computer is upgraded to Lion (and yes, I know it's not upgradeable, thus my first sentence).

I'm writing this to you on a 2007 MacBook that I'm just lucky is an Intel Core2Duo so it *can* run Lion, but I would look at this problem as a sign that it's time to start saving up for something a bit more recent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.