Upgrading from Leopard to Lion

Reaction score
A friend of mine in Saudia Arabia, has had an issue while upgrading.

During the upgrade while the new operating system was being stalled he had a disk error.

What to do now?

He is stuck in a place where the apple support seems to be non existent.

Does he need start up disks? and is=f so where can he down load them?

Is there something else he needs to or can do?

Cheers

Francois

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, you can't download a start up disc.

What is he installing from, if not a bootable OS disc? (Be aware that if you have an answer to that, it may lead to this thread being closed.)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, it is as I suspected then.

As far as I know he doing it through the APP store? and so there were no disks involved and since he lives in South Africa and works in Saudi Arabia, his own disks are at home.

There is nothing unlawful being done here....so not sure why the thread should be locked?

Just trying to find a way to help a mate that is in trouble. Like I said nothing unlawful being done...

Cheers

Francois

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is the machine still usable and can it connect to the 'net and assume you meant he was upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion as one needs OS X.6.6 or later to access the App Store.

If so have him go into the App Store, hold down the Option key and hit the Purchases button, click on Lion and download another copy f.o.c. Have him then burn to a USB thumb drive prior to running installer. He can boot from the thumb drive, go into Utilities and erase and repair the hard drive from there.

Here are details for burning the USB thumb drive:-

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
assume you meant he was upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion as one needs OS X.6.6 or later to access the App Store.

That would make a big difference, wouldn't it...

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks once again for the help, but as I understand it the machine is not able to go on the net, in fact it is in "loop" in the install process....

Harry your signature says it all.....Hang on to those original install discs like grim death!!

It is not looking good....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.