Sharing options via internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Hey guys i was playing around with the Sharing options within my system preferences today and found the "Personal Web Sharing" section. so i turned it on and rang my friend up to see if they could access the address what was given.
it would begin to load but nothing ever loaded. mind you we only let it load for about 10 minutes cos then she had to go out. but i was wondering whether for starters if this works? and how well?

also when i clicked on the "Internet" tab it said
'You cannot start Internet Sharing because you have not selected a port over which to share your connection. is this why she couldnt get the address that i gave her to work? and if so which option to i enable?

i had a friend over who also had a laptop (Windows) and they were able to access the address when i gave to them and they could see what i had put in the "Sites" folder

so please if anyone has done this it would be great if i could have some help as i would like to be able to share files with my friend to save on petrol lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
First you need to port forward port 80(http) through your router. There should be documentation that came with your router to help you with that.

Second, no one on the internet will be able to get to the address provided in the sharing pref. You need to substitute your internet IP for your local IP. This should be obtainable by going to http://ipfinder.info

Be carefull with web sharing. There are folks out there smarter than you or I that could cause harm.

OP
jacksonworld
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
ok thanks for answering my question except lol i have NO idea what you talking bout with substituting my ip address. where do i do this? and what will it do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I would probably also ask your ISP if they allow personal web hosting. Most ISPs actually block inbound port 80 meaning that even if you open that port on your router, it won't matter since the ISP is actually blocking the data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.