Hard Drive Verify Disk failed, Volume needs repair

Reaction score
Hello, I thought I'd take this one to the experts. My computer has been running slow these past few days so I ran a first aid. the permissions were way off so i ran a repair on them. Thats fixed, I think. Then I ran a verify disk and this is what I got back:

Verifying volume “RAID Set 1”

Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume file count

(It should be 962928 instead of 962930)
Invalid volume directory count

(It should be 230969 instead of 230967)

The volume HD needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Oh crap, what does that mean? It does not give me the option to run a repair, only a verify again. Here is my computer specks:

MAC OSX 10.5.8, Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Mirrored RAID set using two 1TB drives.

Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is the RAID your boot volume?

If so boot to single user mode, done by holding S+CMD on power on.

At the prompt you will see two commands to try. Complete these commands to see if they are able to repair the volume. If not you can attempt to boot to the OS DVD to run Disk Utility from there and attempt a repair.

Otherwise Disk Warrior by Alsoft might do the trick. The product does work but not sure if it works on software RAIDs.

Reaction score
You can also hold command+R when rebooting to get to recovery and click on disk utility, then macintosh hd, then in the bottom right part of the screen click on verify disk. It will take a while to run it's course but i'm sure some red will pop up, then click on repair disk and let it run. when done you should see a green finale saying disk repaired. its best to repair the disk while not being mounted to it. Good luck :)

OP
R
Reaction score
So, I tried the S + CMD but the only option i really had was to exit, since i do not know commands off the top of my head.

The CMD + R did not do anything at all? Maybe i did it wrong. I'll try again though.

I would like to use the disk utility from my boot disk but I'm not able to locate it. How do i get my hands on a 10.5 start up disk? Is there a free download or do i have to buy the entire package again?

thanks for all you help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No free downloads. Options are to find the install disc or shell out for another one alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
CMD+R is for Lion and you clearly stated that it was 10.5.8 so don't bother.

CMD+S lists that commands right there. fsck -fy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.