Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A

Reaction score
Okay, I know that this is going to sound real stupid to people that have had a PowerBook G4, but I need the communities help. What I'm about to do is buy an Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A, but it doesn't have the CPU. What kind of CPU should I get with it? It's a good deal only 30 bucks. What do you guys think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, I know that this is going to sound real stupid to people that have had a PowerBook G4, but I need the communities help. What I'm about to do is buy an Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A, but it doesn't have the CPU. What kind of CPU should I get with it? It's a good deal only 30 bucks. What do you guys think?

What is your goal here...to install this Intel logic board into your Powerbook G4?

- How do you know it will fit?
- All logic boards for Apple laptops made in at least the last 10 years have the cpu's soldered directly onto the logic board.

Finally...even if this logic board swap did work. Since you would be using non-Apple hardware...it's illegal (against Apple's EULA) to install the Mac OS on it. This basically means it's a "hackintosh"...which we do not discuss at Mac-Forums!

I advise skipping this project...and just purchase a used MacBook.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
What is your goal here...to install this Intel logic board into your Powerbook G4?

- All logic boards for Apple laptops made in at least the last 10 years have the cpu's soldered directly onto the logic board.

Finally...even if this logic board swap did work. Since you would be using non-Apple hardware...it's illegal (against Apple's EULA) to install the Mac OS on it. This basically means it's a "hackintosh"...which we do not discuss at Mac-Forums!

- Nick

I researched it and found that this board is apple made, and designed for my particular G4. You can see what I mean at Apple Powerbook G4 M8407 Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A | eBay which is where I'm looking to buy this particular item.

OP
C
Reaction score
My goal is to put the best equipment I can into my computer so that It'll run the programs and things I need for it to run. Also, you can see the item I'm talking about at this website. Apple Powerbook G4 M8407 Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A | eBay

It happens to be a deal that I'm not sure I want to pass up because of the possibilities. If I can't find a compatible CPU for the board then I don't want to keep nursing the idea. I do know that I'm very certain it isn't illegal even though you might think as much.

OP
C
Reaction score

- Nick

How do I know it'll fit? I researched it and it's a model m8407 board which is the model number of my particular Powerbook G4.
All logic boards for Apple laptops made in the last 10 years have not had all the CPUs soldered to the board. Intel boards, especially the older ones have had CPUs that you could replace as they go bad due to overheating.

Finally, this IS apple hardware, but I don't think you're grasping that. Please take a look at this link: Apple Powerbook G4 M8407 Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A | eBay and tell me what you think after viewing it.

I thank you for your help, and hope I didn't come off as condescending. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry...the way you worded your earlier post...it sounded like the logic board you were using was a non-Apple board.

You copied & pasted this info from the e-Bay auction you linked...but you failed to copy the more important part...and that is that this is a Powerbook G4 logic board!!!

This logic board cannot be both a Powerbook G4 and an Intel logic board...it just doesn't work that way! The e-Bay sellers title is WRONG!

Look at the photo in step 38 of the link:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Core-Duo-Logic-Board-Replacement/296/13

This is a photo of an "Intel logic board" from a MacBook. Do you notice that it looks nothing like the logic board in the e-Bay auction photo???

If you're goal is to get an Intel cpu into a Powerbook G4 housing/case...it just won't work. And if you feel that this logic board from e-Bay can have it's cpu swapped for another one of a different type...good luck!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm about to do is buy an Intel Logic Board 820-1263-A, but it doesn't have the CPU.

And by the way...if you look closely at the e-Bay auction photo...that logic board DOES have a cpu. It's that square thing in the middle of the logic board with the gray boarder around it...with the residual thermal grease still smeared on it.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm sorry to have left that out, and also for not specifying that it was an apple product, but thank you for pointing out that the auction is wrong, although they do say it's an intel board that doesn't have the CPU. I wanted to add an intel board to my powerbook so that I could do more with it. oh well, so much for that idea. I wanted to install Leopard on it, but without a faster processor I can't do it.

OP
C
Reaction score
And by the way...if you look closely at the e-Bay auction photo...that logic board DOES have a cpu. It's that square thing in the middle of the logic board with the gray boarder around it...with the residual thermal grease still smeared on it.

- Nick

That I did notice, but the last line of the text it says CPU not included or something to that effect, which is why I came here to find compatible processors

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That I did notice, but the last line of the text it says CPU not included or something to that effect, which is why I came here to find compatible processors

Yes I saw that bit of text about that there's no cpu. But the seller is WRONG!!!

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. Macintosh Powerbook G4 laptops are not made to have their cpus replaced or upgraded.

I just reviewed (for your benefit)...the spec's on ALL 24 Powerbook G4 models ever released...and ALL of them have a soldered & integrated cpu on them (no "ZIF" sockets). These cpu's are NOT removable...and they are not replaceable (just like I mentioned earlier in this thread).

If you feel I am wrong...please go ahead and purchase this logic board. But don't be surprised when you get it...when it looks exactly as pictured in the e-Bay auction...with a cpu...and with a a cpu that is soldered & integrated in the logic board.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out for me, I really appreciate it. Now I can look elsewhere to upgrade my computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to add an intel board to my powerbook so that I could do more with it. oh well, so much for that idea. I wanted to install Leopard on it, but without a faster processor I can't do it.

Of course everyone would like to add an Intel cpu to their old Powerbook G4 for $30 bucks...but it just doesn't work that way!;) As I mentioned...ALL Powerbook G4's have a soldered & integrated cpu (they are NOT removable or replaceable).

And even if this was possible to remove & replace the cpu on a Powerbook G4 logic board (which it isn't)...there's no way you would be able to replace a G4 cpu with an Intel cpu. They are TOTALLY different "animals"...probably wouldn't even be the same "form-factor" or number of pins.

- Nick

p.s. By the way (just for fun).:) You mentioned earlier in this thread...

"Intel boards, especially the older ones have had CPUs that you could replace as they go bad due to overheating."

Can you please show me an example of this? Since again...I reviewed the early Intel MacBook specs...and all of these logic boards have a "soldered & integrated" cpu...which is NOT removable or replaceable (at least not by your average DIY home computer user).

Like I said...please show me this just for fun. If this is possible...I want to know about it!:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for pointing that out for me, I really appreciate it. Now I can look elsewhere to upgrade my computer.

If you need or want a Macintosh laptop with an Intel cpu...you have to buy a MacBook. There's no way to upgrade a Powerbook G4 to make it "Intel".

Also. If the cpu speed in your current Powerbook G4 is too slow to install OS 10.5 Leopard...then you need to purchase a faster model Powerbook G4. Technically there's a program called "Leopard Assist" that's supposed to help with installing 10.5 on Mac's with a cpu slower than 867mhz.

Macintosh laptops are NOT designed to have upgradeable cpu's. Even if you look into the "Windows World" of laptops...very very few of them have upgradeable cpu's either.

- Nick

p.s. Like I mentioned. The seller in that e-Bay auction is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!:( That logic board DOES HAVE a cpu on it (there's almost no way the seller could or would remove a soldered & integrated cpu)...and they are WRONG for including BOTH the words "Powerbook G4" and "Intel" in the same sentence. It just doesn't work that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.