bookmarks lost with ipod sync

Reaction score
From what I was reading I thought that I had selected something that was going to add my ipod bookmarks to the ones I already had on safari on my imac, such as you would get when you import bookmarks on a pc. Instead, it wiped my bookmarks on my imac and replaced them with what I have on my ipod.

My bookmarks on my imac were extensive and organized into a multitude of folders. I don't browse much on my ipod of course because its a 3 inch screen. I sure as **** didn't want to erase my imac bookmarks for what I have on my ipod. Geez!

Is there anyway to get my old bookmarks back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Restore the bookmarks from your Time Machine backup that you made before you synced.

I'm guessing that you didn't make a backup? OK. Open the Finder and navigate to here:

MacIntosh HD/Users/you/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks/

See if your bookmarks are listed there and let us know. If they are, the format will be like this:

00229BE7-E80D-41F7-A030-7F863010A8BB.webbookmark

By double clicking on it, it will open to a bookmarked web page.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks, I took that route and was going to add the first one back to my favorites, when I noticed that all my old folders were given as options. So I checked my bookmarks again and notice all my old folders are interspersed among the links imported from my ipod bookmarks. I don't know if I just didn't notice them yesterday, or if my old bookmarks were restored to the list when I rebooted. I tend to think the latter, but I'm not sure. At any rate I am saved.

You're right that I have no time machine backup. I still have to purchase the harddrive for my backups. I'm also going to wipe my machine back to a clean install at the Apple store before I do that and then back that up before I add Leopard.

Anyway thanks for the tip. This is the kind of thing I bookmark of course, but a lot of good it'll do me to have it bookmarked if I lose my bookmarks. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad it worked out for you. Always a good learning experience. Have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.