Problem between MacBook and printer

Reaction score
I have a recent issue between my Macbook 0S Leopard and my Canon Pixma 620 printer. After over a year of printing, I recently am unable to delete print jobs from my printer. I read there was and issue between Mac and Canon. I downloaded the the "fix" and it is total gibberish. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I cannot figure this out.:[ I am filling up my memory with finished print jobs.

OP
F
Reaction score
After using my printer for almost 2 years, I suddenly am unable to delete print jobs. I have a Pixma MP620. I heard there was a problem between Canon and Mac. I cannot find a fix and there are 3 months of print jobs stuck that I cannot delete. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own a Canon MP 620 and as far as I'm aware there is no problem between Canon and Mac computers. Mine has been working well for two years. I assume you've tried opening the print queue and delete the jobs from there?

If that's not working, do this: Run Disk Utility from your install media and repair permissions. Then go back and try to delete the jobs. If that still doesn't work, post back and we can try something else.

Edit: Please do not cross post! Post only to one forum and continue posting and following the thread there.

Your cross post has been merged here.

Reaction score
My Canon PIXMA MP620 is suddenly greying out options for "Fast" and "Custom" printing. In fact, it seems to be printing only "Fine."

I have re-selected the Printer in System Preferences. No help there. I bet it is a printer driver issue.

I must add that I have had some glitches with this printer since I got my MBP.

Help. Please.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Canon PIXMA MP620 is suddenly greying out options for "Fast" and "Custom" printing. In fact, it seems to be printing only "Fine."

I have re-selected the Printer in System Preferences. No help there. I bet it is a printer driver issue.

It may not be a driver issue. Which application are you using the MP 620 with? Those options are only going to be available for whichever applications support them. For example: I checked the default settings for my MP 620 in MS Word 2011 and the options for standard, fine, etc. are available. However, for iStudio Publisher the set of options which are available are not the same.

Reaction score
It may not be a driver issue. Which application are you using the MP 620 with? Those options are only going to be available for whichever applications support them. For example: I checked the default settings for my MP 620 in MS Word 2011 and the options for standard, fine, etc. are available. However, for iStudio Publisher the set of options which are available are not the same.

Thanks, cag.

I'm using the same thing I've been using for months: Word 2011 v. 14.1.3. Nothing has changed in that regard.

What happened is this: Since I got the MBP and a new Airport base station, I have been able to wirelessly print, but not wireless scan. So, to scan I go back to the USB. However, after a USB scan, Airport won't recognize the MBP for printing unless I de-select all printers and re-select in System Preferences. This time, the result is the greyed out printing options.

Does any of that make sense?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MP 620 does real well as a wireless printer but wireless scanning is another matter. I had it working somewhat with Snow Leopard and a different Mac (2008 MacBook). Canon has since updated drivers twice which has not impacted on wireless printing, however, wireless scanning is not working right. I kind of gave up on it because I rarely use that feature anyway.

The only thing I can suggest is try to run the Canon Network tools. The latest can be downloaded at the Canon site for the MP 620. Here is the LINK.

I don't remember off hand which one of the utilities worked for me but here's the lineup:

Network Scanner Selector.app
Network Scan Utility.app
Network Tool.app

I believe I ran the Network Tool.app or the Network Scan Utility.app and that setup the MP620 to print wirelessly and use my WPA2 password. Then I think I ran the Network Scanner Selector.app. But like I said, that was for Snow Leopard. The same sequence does not seem to work for Lion, or at least reliably.

Reaction score
The MP 620 does real well as a wireless printer but wireless scanning is another matter. I had it working somewhat with Snow Leopard and a different Mac [EDIT: (2001 PowerBook G4)]. Canon has since updated drivers twice which has not impacted on wireless printing, however, wireless scanning is not working right. I kind of gave up on it because I rarely use that feature anyway.

^^My experience, too.

I got it to print last night by using a different document, although it was the same Word program. I'm short on time this morning, but I'll fiddle with it tonight and let you know.

Thanks!

Reaction score
MacBook Pro user about to buy a Cannon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Printer

I have just joined the Mac-Forums and have been reading about issues between Mac computers and printers. Should I buy the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II printers to go with my MacBook Pro computer?

Reaction score
Update

--I am (still) unable to scan by WiFi. Must use USB. It sucs. But I can print by WiFi.

--I figured out that the "greying out" of the print quality buttons was happening on Word docs that had been converted from an earlier Word program. The best way that I have found to take the content of the old Word docs and make a new Word doc is to first make the old Word doc into a PDF. Then cut and paste the content into a new Word doc.

@JimB: Speaking for the PIXMA MP620, I haven't found it to be any worse, or any better, than the cheapo Epson printer that I had before it. Maybe the Epson was a little more document friendly. The PIXMAs are marketed as good for printing photos, which I do not do.

Reaction score
Thanks. I do a lot of photo printing and used to use an Olympus 400 photo printer. I just keep seeing posting about problems using mac instead of pcs for digital photo printing

Reaction score
Thanks. I do a lot of photo printing and used to use an Olympus 400 photo printer. I just keep seeing posting about problems using mac instead of pcs for digital photo printing

Just remember: I am not an expert on the model that you are talking about (or on anything else).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.