MBP (mid 2010) Super Drive Replacement?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I guess I have a dead SUper Drive(MAtshita UJ 898) on Macbook Pro 17" (mid 2010), as it keeps ejecting all the Dvds....I wanted to flash it(just to check) with new firmware using Matshita Flasher/Simple Flash but not luck as I already am on OSX Lion...and unable to downgrade. I saw the guide on ifixit and would like to replace the super drive...(as I do not have Apple guarantee)... Is it possible to install other models of Matshita/Panasonic drives? or it specifically has to be the exact same model? (UJ 898 in my case)

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible to replace it with a better model. The folks at Other World Computing have some very nice replacement super drives that outperform the Apple original. Go to this LINK.

OP
I
Reaction score
chscag...thank you for your reply...i found a super drive by Sony model # AD 5960S online and i am planning to buy it. Just to get a professional opinion : Which brand is better for Super drive,Matshita/Sony? or any other good ones are available? I really do not want to have any future superdrive problems...therefore im double checking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I've had good luck with both brands. The Matsushita brand seems to be the one preferred by Apple since it came stock in my MacBook and iMac. However, I've used Sony branded drives over the years and never had a problem with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Personally prefer Pioneer drives, however the Matshita should be fine as they are a Panasonic company.

OP
I
Reaction score
That is what i thought...Pioneer is supposed to be good...but I have a UJ 898 installed and it just ejects every disc i insert :/ that is why i am looking to change it. is it possible to fix this issue without a replacement?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Either brand/replacement drive...will be MUCH better than the suspected broken drive you currently have!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.