Switching to Windows

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had my Mac for 2 years now and I have no problem with it, until now.

Since SWTOR comes out ( Windows only game ) I wanted to install Windows 7 on my Mac. Now I know this is possible with Boot Camp but I have problems with that too. When I try to partition the disk it tells me that something went wrong and that I should check Disk Utility for repair.

Fair enough right? Well, when I go to disk utility and ask it to check my disk it encounters some problems and tells me it cannot be repaired. After I click on the 'Permission to repair disk' button it gives me another error.

Now, I was thinking. I watched a video on youtube on how to completely restore factory settings. It's a 3-step process.

1. Back up
2. Delete
3. Reinstall Mac OS X

My question is with the 3rd step. Could I just install windows instead?

Even though I don't like letting go of Mac OS X, I really want Windows. If you guys have some tips on how to solve this either way, many thanks.

Sorry for the long and probably confusing post.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not really a matter of restoring the machine to factory specs. The hard drive has problems that probably can only be resolved by replacing the drive.

With a new large hard drive you can reinstall OS X and then use Boot Camp to partition and install Windows 7. If you really want Windows instead of a Mac, then I suggest buying a Windows computer for gaming and keep the Mac for OS X.

OP
C
Reaction score
Let's say I get a new hard drive. Could I just install windows on it directly? I don't mind switching to Windows for good really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.