Switching to Windows

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had my Mac for 2 years now and I have no problem with it, until now.

Since SWTOR comes out ( Windows only game ) I wanted to install Windows 7 on my Mac. Now I know this is possible with Boot Camp but I have problems with that too. When I try to partition the disk it tells me that something went wrong and that I should check Disk Utility for repair.

Fair enough right? Well, when I go to disk utility and ask it to check my disk it encounters some problems and tells me it cannot be repaired. After I click on the 'Permission to repair disk' button it gives me another error.

Now, I was thinking. I watched a video on youtube on how to completely restore factory settings. It's a 3-step process.

1. Back up
2. Delete
3. Reinstall Mac OS X

My question is with the 3rd step. Could I just install windows instead?

Even though I don't like letting go of Mac OS X, I really want Windows. If you guys have some tips on how to solve this either way, many thanks.

Sorry for the long and probably confusing post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You may have a bad hard drive. If that is the case, reinstalling anything wont have much of an effect other than prolonging the issue to the point of total failure and loss of data.

OP
C
Reaction score
Admin's can delete this post. Realized I put this post in the wrong place sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you guys have some tips on how to solve this either way, many thanks.

I'm not sure of the system requirements for "SWTOR"...but another option is...you could always buy an older used or new Windows computer to play the game.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I wish it would be that easy. Buying a new computer will be difficult until February. I don't really know the requirements of SWTOR but I don't really rely on requirements to know what kind of computer I need. I've seen footage with my own eyes and I can tell you it's going to be hard on any 'old' computer I can muster up, because I can. But computers with 512MB or RAM and an almost inexistent graphics card isn't going to help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I wish it would be that easy. Buying a new computer will be difficult until February. I don't really know the requirements of SWTOR but I don't really rely on requirements to know what kind of computer I need. I've seen footage with my own eyes and I can tell you it's going to be hard on any 'old' computer I can muster up, because I can. But computers with 512MB or RAM and an almost inexistent graphics card isn't going to help me.

FYI-http://buy.swtor.com/us/?sourceid=title-exact_wk_swtor_exact_72_swtor_buy_google#system-requirements

OP
C
Reaction score
System requirements ok. But I want to know the answer to the base question :

How can I resolve my problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you gave the answer.

Backup, delete (reformat, actually) and reinstall then Bootcamp. However, as I said above, if there is a problem with the HD, it will need to be replaced first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.