Hard drives

Reaction score
Hi, I am a bit of a newbie to the mac, and I am still learning a few things. I do, however, have a question. I have a 2TB external hard drive from my old windows computer that I have plugged in to my mac. It reads everything fine and I can copy stuff from it to my mac. I can not seem to write on it though. I store a lot of photos and documents on there. Is there a plug in or something that I need to do to be able to save on this again? I have looked around on the computer but have not found anything. I dont want to touch what I know nothing about either.

I hope someone will be able to help me

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The drive is most likely formatted NTFS which is a proprietary windows format. OSX can read NTFS, but out of the box it can not write to NTFS.

You have two options. Do you still use the drive with Windows? If not, if you have any way to back up the files, format the drive Mac OSX Extended Journalized and put the data back on.

The other option is Paragon software that will allow OSX to both Read and Write to a Windows NTFS drive.

If you can back up and reformat in Apples format, that would be the best way to go.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I still have my windows computer for now so I will give the first option a go.

Thanks again
;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're going to remain a multi-OS user as many of us are, I'd recommend grabbing Paragon's NTFS for Mac. Handy tool when you want to direct connect instead of moving data across the network.

OP
S
Reaction score
No multi user mate. I have switched to mac for good. Love the iphone and ipad, and now love the mac
Thanks for your advice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.