Boot Camp+Win 7 without CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Can I install win 7 on my air without the CD? I found a walkthrough online but my mom can't find her window 7 disc so that was pointless. I don't have a superdrive or win 7 cd. Can I download Win 7 and do it? I have a Win 7 iso file.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You just asked in the BST forum about buying a copy of Windows 7. Did you read my answer?

The only place you can legally download Windows 7 is from the Microsoft Online Store. Where did you get the Windows 7 iso file?

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
You just asked in the BST forum about buying a copy of Windows 7. Did you read my answer?

The only place you can legally download Windows 7 is from the Microsoft Online Store. Where did you get the Windows 7 iso file?

A friend gave it to me on a ex-hard drive? Is this illegal? I honestly didn't ask him where he got it.

This one here:

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack: Software

I thought I needed the whole version of win 7 that costs like 150-199 to buy? Will this system builder pack work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that copy is illegal. Please discard it and buy Windows 7 from the Amazon link as we discussed previously. And as I answered in BST, the OEM system builders will work just fine.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Is there a possibility that it isn't illegal? Like he got it off his disc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either way it's an illegal copy. Doesn't matter if it came from his DVD or not, it's licensed to him not you. Besides, since all Microsoft install DVDs come with a product ID code and then require activation, it wouldn't work anyway.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Maybe it doesn't work or maybe it will work, guess we'll never know...or will we LOL..just joking. File was deleted and I found someone who has a copy with a another valid activation code.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
File was deleted and I found someone who has a copy with a another valid activation code.

That does not make it legal for you to use it. Since you obviously don't want to buy a legal copy from Amazon as suggested, I'm closing off this thread. If you read our guidelines (my signature) you can see that we do not discuss illegal activities.

Again, do the right thing and buy your own copy of Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.