A few miscellaneous questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Upon setting up my MBP, I put in my name [hard drive, user, ???] and I would like to change it but, not sure how -- When I click on finder, the name is listed at the bottom (on the left) next to the 'house' icon and on a different screen it is after /Users/. After further investigation, I believe it is referred to as my 'home folder'.

I inserted a flash drive formatted for PC [w/PC files] and it shows up as an item I can click but, when I do it disappears. Will a stock MBP not load and 'reformat' the PC files to work on the MBP [e.g. .ODX to .XLS] or do I need additional software to migrate over files? Can I then assume that I need to reformat the USB flash drive for Apple?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, just like windows you need an application to open those files. For .xls you'd need something like excel (yep, office is available), open office, or pages. Not sure about odx though.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Thanks. Yes, I have Apple Excel (.odx is from OpenOffice Calc). I've found that I can view the file if I convert to .xls within OpenOffice then email to myself but, that is laborious.

C

chas_m

I'm not certain of this, but I think you can set OO to use .xls (ie Office format) as the default. That will eliminate the conversion issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.