Major Email Problems in Lion

Reaction score
I upgraded to Lion several weeks ago. Before then, all my e-mail content was completely searchable. After the upgrade, my search function no longer works in my e-mail.

So, I searched forums and found various solutions. Most recommended doing various things with different mail folders, i.e. re-building mailboxes, etc. A recurring file destination mentioned was home/library/mail to find the various files needed. Well, that poses a major problem for me. I have searched my entire computer over, literally for hours, and cannot locate a single "mail" folder on my entire computer. I have even enabled the viewing of hidden files. There is simply not a "mail" folder located anywhere, let alone in a "library" folder.

I have messages in my mail account and various mailboxes. However, I also cannot locate any "mailbox" file anywhere on my computer.

So, I would love to tackle the major bug in Lion regarding mail search function, but I can't even begin as the files do not exist, at least not in visible sight.

Has anybody ever heard of this or have any suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you talking Spotlight search up by the clock in the Menu Bar? If so Latest Lion here and it finds all my emails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.