Migration Assistant

Reaction score
I used the migration assistant to transfer my old G4 to my husband's new Macbook laptop (after Oct.2009) and it worked well except now his "home" icon in finder has my name and not his. Any way to change that? I've tried but can't work that out.

OP
B
Reaction score
wow thanks ever so! I will try in a.m. when husband is able to follow the instructions as I read them. Really appreciate this.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have tried the renaming and I hit a dead end when enabling root directory. I have been to the apple site Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X to enable root for 10.6. and it's not giving me the enable root option. It is not a big issue though. I may back up all and use the install disks rather than the migration assistant. Do you think that would clear it up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Enabling the Root user will only get you in trouble anyway. Changing the name on the user home folder can go very wrong and lock you out of your data.

An easier way to do it is have your husband create a new admin user on his machine and name it with his name. Log on to the new account. Then, copy everything from the old user name to the new account. Verify that everything is working OK. If it is, remove the old user account.

Make sure you backup everything before doing the above.

OP
B
Reaction score
sounds like a good plan...thanks I'll give it a try. Thanks so much for your quick response and help.

OP
B
Reaction score
I want to change the home directory name as well as the administrator. Just creating a new administrator doesn't give me a user name does it? sorry if this is stupid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.