Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) RAM Upgrade?!

Reaction score
Hi; I have a Macbook Pro (mid-2009) ; Model: MB986LL/A ; 2.8 GHz, RAM: 4Gb 1067 mhz DDR3

I bought two PNY 4Gb PC3-8500 1066 MHz type; to upgrading my RAM to 8Gb; I double checked this information in the Apple site and one Apple Retail store (Ishop). But, when I go to Best buy to have them install the memory (because I have my macbook pro in warranty cover with them) they told me: "That the Mac's are having issues recognizing the PNY RAM memory." That I need to buy Kingston RAM memory; so they can install it.

Is this a real issue ; because they don't have it, and I found it at CompUSA; and bought it there. I want to know before I return the memory. Excuse my english, please.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This is just my own personal opinion from my time spent as an overclocker. Don't know if PNY is one of the brands Macs tend to take issue with or not - they can be picky. But, I wouldn't put PNY in anything i owned. They use the cheapest parts they can get for everything they put out. Test scores are pretty much repeatedly trounced by any of the name brand manufacturers of memory from Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin... There's a reason it costs 1/3 less than the other manufacturers. Wouldn't give my money to either of the 2 P's... PNY & Patriot. I'd sooner buy the no name OWC house brand to either of those two.

I'd suggest you head to OWC, Crucial, Newegg or Amazon for your RAM and put it in yourself.
Not familiar with RAM name brands and who's respected and who's not? - stick to OWC or Crucial.

And there's no reason to be paying someone else to put it in the machine for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.