• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My 1st Mac and now....

Reaction score
I want the Apple Thunderport display next.. Lord help me I have expensive tastes in gadgets.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's a "Thunderport" display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
What's a "Thunderport" display?
Don't be an A55, she obviously means Dunder Mifflin port. Apple added it to take care of all your paper needs. All Dunder Mifflin orders are processed out of their warehouse in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Seriously though, I can relate, I want an appleTV, time capsule and a few airport express.

Reaction score
Apple's products certainly attracts high-end gadget users, and once you get one, you want more..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Mine started with my iPad last September. Since then, I have gotten an Apple TV2, MBP, AirportExtreme, iPhone 4s, Airport Express (for the main stereo). I am looking for another ATV2 for the other TV and a MacMini to do all my media serving. Yeah, it was like a snowball...

Reaction score
This goes to show how far behind I am with the Mac. How fast is Thunderbolt? Lightning fast? I mean USB 2.0 is like a breeze.. >.>

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
This goes to show how far behind I am with the Mac. How fast is Thunderbolt? Lightning fast? I mean USB 2.0 is like a breeze.. >.>

:p

It would be really fast if there were anything to hook it to besides a display. Actually it is supposed to have a 10gb throughput, which is definitely fast - something like 20 -25 times faster than USB 2. But, at this point who knows? Ethernet has an actual throughput of about 40% of the rated speed - i.e. 1gb Ethernet seldom can pass data faster than about .4gb, unless you are using a special point to point configuration. Is the 10gb rating of TB real, or is it an EPA type figure and you won't come close to that actual speed?

All that being said, my Thunderbolt display connected to my Air is wonderful. With attached mouse, keyboard and various harddrives, it is essentially a very portable 27" iMac with the same mic, sound, camera and screen size. And a built in magcharger tail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.