Web-based Wiki software for Mac?

Reaction score
Hi, all! Using Lion on one box and Snow Leopard on the other...

I'm looking for some good web-based Wiki software to use on one of the Mac's at home. I've set up plenty of web servers on PC, so it shouldn't be a big deal on Mac, but I don't want to spend hours tweaking config files. Any suggestions for a good Wiki for one? Looking for something full featured and not scaled down or cludge-y...

Thanks!
SteveB

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've used PmWiki before which isn't bad and has the benefit of using flat files instead of a SQL database. That will save you from setting up a SQL database which, in my opinion, is always the most tedious part. It's also PHP based which is nice since getting PHP up and running on a Mac involves changing only a few lines in your Apache config file.

As for "full featured", I'll leave that up to you but it's fairly comprehensive. You can get password protection and you get a decent markup language for wiki entries.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you use something like MAMP to install Apache, PHP and MySQL on your machine then you can use ANY Wiki software that requires PHP & MySQL (virtually all of the big ones out there).

There is nothing about these Wiki software that makes then Mac or PC-specific..

OP
sierraphotog
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, guys... Well, I've enabled Apache and installed both PHP and MySQL so far; both appear to be running without errors. I'll d/l PmWiki first to see if it's going to work for me, then probably MediaWiki (assuming both are open/freeware).

Thanks again for your input, and if you have any further thoughts and notes I would appreciate it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.