Do these internet settings look right to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi, I'm just feeling frazzled with constant dropouts.

The reason why I ask is that I'm supposed to have a static IP and during a previous discussion with my ISP's technical support 12 months ago they helped reset some router settings and advised me to check the PPPoA setting.

The Wan IP always stays the same and a Speedcheck test gives me the same IP.

Have I got the wrong setting here which is causing my interminable headache?

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 17.06.03.png

Screen Shot 2011-11-30 at 17.04.16.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I enlarged the pictures in your post. :)

On a cursory glance, nothing looks out of the ordinary from where I sit. Who's your provider? It might help if we could compare settings.

When you say dropouts, is this application specific or "global" (network connection drops)?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I enlarged the pictures in your post. :)

On a cursory glance, nothing looks out of the ordinary from where I sit. Who's your provider? It might help if we could compare settings.

When you say dropouts, is this application specific or "global" (network connection drops)?

Hi Vansmith,

Thank you for replying with enlargements!

I just received your mail notification, clicked on the link and no connection via Safari. The ISP is Talk Talk, formerly Tiscali, formerly Pipex and the dropouts tend to be global on this machine, a Mac mini and an iPad.

Symptoms are hanging Safari, Mail locking out and sometimes a dropped connection with random re-connects.

I've re-sited the router/modem, moved the cordless phones, put an ethernet connection in and still these problems..sometimes the connection is flying and then zilch.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome again to my hum-drum world of poor connectivity.

I thought I'd give deleting the Safari plist and I don't appear to have one in /Library/Preferences/

The shot below is all that appears to be in there for Safari...I'm stumped..where could it have gone and why? :\

Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 08.26.14.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Real quick, is this under Lion? If so it's the User library which you get to by clicking Go up in Finder and holding down Option. Library will appear. Then in Preferences in that Library should be the Com.Apple.Safari.plist

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi dtravis7,

Yes it is Lion and I've been doing exactly that and this is all that shows in the Preferences folder. There is a separate folder..'Safari' in the library and this has individual plists listed as
Bookmarks.plist, Configurations..History..Downloads etc.

I can't figure it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a helpful tip - /Library/Preferences is a different folder than your home one which is ~/Library/Preferences. Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix filesystems, haha. ;)

Deleting the plist won't help if the problem exists beyond Safari (you mentioned issues with Mail above). The problem could be hardware - either router or modem. I suggest this since the problem isn't limited to one device. Is there any way you can swap either of those devices out for another to test this theory?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a helpful tip - /Library/Preferences is a different folder than your home one which is ~/Library/Preferences. Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix filesystems, haha. ;)

Deleting the plist won't help if the problem exists beyond Safari (you mentioned issues with Mail above). The problem could be hardware - either router or modem. I suggest this since the problem isn't limited to one device. Is there any way you can swap either of those devices out for another to test this theory?

Ah I see.

I can't swap out unfortunately but in the scheme of things a new modem/router might not go amiss.

I'll do this as soon as I can within the next couple of days.

Thank you both. I'll keep you posted.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

Hello guys,

So I got the new w/less router modem ( Belkin Play N600DB) and after a tussle with my ISP for my correct username and password I am now re-connected.

Things were going swimmingly until the connection with my iMac dropped out as per usual.

I swapped the band from 2.4 to 5Ghz and everything is good (fingers crossed) so the issue must have been my cordless phone base station I guess? I had moved it,but I think it needs to be moved into the trash;)

One thing is puzzling me though,

iStumbler reports signal strength as 33% (15 points lower than my last router) with signal noise of 9%.

Wi-Fi Analyzer reports -71dB (way off reference ) and a signal to noise ratio of 25dB.

Mac's WiFi icon shows all 4 bars at full.

Does anyone know why what I should be looking at in strength and SNR for a reasonable connection? Are any of these apps reliable?

Thanks for your support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.