• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing TV Movies

Reaction score
Hi
I'm Brian,new to the forum and fairly new to Mac.
I have a few films recorded from the tv on my Mac & wondered if there is software that i can use to takes out adverts etc.
Used to do it on my PC with windows don"t know if possible on Mac though.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie will do it. How have you recorded the movies and what format are they?

OP
B
Reaction score
Its a .TS file MPEG-2
I recorded from tv onto Freesat Recorder hard drive,then transfered to my pc.
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Are you using Lion? If not, you'll need Apple's mpeg2 playback component(it's already included with Lion). You'll then need to use MPEGStreamclip to convert your videos to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting, which is what iMovie uses.

You might be better using one of Elgato's EyeTV tuners to record to your Mac.
Elgato products

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi MightyGem
Thanks for your replies
Yea i am using Lion.
I,ve just downloaded a free trial of iSkysoft Convertor,which i have used to take out the adverts<was quite easy.
Not sure what i'm going to do next though:D
Will look at Apples mpeg2 playback component.
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will look at Apples mpeg2 playback component.
As I said, it's already part of Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.