HELP! My iMac is frozen

Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old iMac with no warranty. Last night while doing homework ( I am a graphic design student) my computer froze. The cursor moved but clicking on anything didn't work. I restarted, unplugged, held down various keys when shutting down or restarting, nothing worked. At 2 am I unplugged it and went to bed and prayed.

The same problem still exists. I don't know what I'll do if I can't use my computer with all the projects I'm working on. Do you have any suggestions?

One other time Apple support had me hold keys downs on my keyboard while holding down the start button until the computer shut down but the restarted, all while continuing to hold down these keys. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try restarting with the OPTION key held down. That will give you a list of bootable volumes on your system.

You may need to boot from your install disc and run Disk Utility to see if your hard drive is working. You may also want to run the Apple Hardware Test. You can also try Safe Mode. Here's a list of the various startup options:

Startup key combinations for Intel-based Macs

Reaction score
I got on the MacForum to ask a similar question to this one, so instead, I add to it. I have a 13" MBP mid 2010 running OSX 6.8. I usually use it as a desktop with an external monitor, a Logitech wireless keyboard and a Logitech Vwhatever bluetooth mouse. No previous problems, at least none I couldn't figure out.

A few months ago I was working one night when the mouse click stopped responding. The cursor moved but it would raise the dock nor would the click work. Detached from the external stuff the track pad and keyboard on the MBP acted the same way. It was still acting this way the next morning so I took it to an Apple Retail store and the genius bar, where, of course, it worked fine. The tech suggested it might be a permissions problem, and said it if happened again I should do an archive reinstall of the OS from the original disk.

Two weeks ago, I got the same freeze up, although this time, it recovered after a timeout, only to reoccur the next evening. I headed back to Apple (not that easy as it's about fifty miles from home, but what the hey, I was looking for an excuse to get out of town). Once again, the MBP was working fine in the store. The tech, a different one, ran all the diagnostics and pronounced everything copacetic and again suggested a reinstall of the OS. So I let them do it. And all was well until....

There's always an "until" isn't there--until a couple of days ago when it happened again. This time after a short timeout I tried again with just the MBP and things worked. I tried different combinations of externals and it still worked although I began to wonder about the mouse. I send an query to Logitech, but have not heard back. Right now all is working as it should. Has anyone else had this problem? Lizzybluts and I need some help here? Thanks,

Mr Tutt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr Tutt… try running all the maintenance and cleaning tools in Onyx found under it's Automation menu.

If that doesn't get you fixed up, can you provide a list of all the apps you are loading on startup, found in the System Preferences under Users. Also… and to both you and lizzy… you wouldn't happen to be running MacKeeper?'

EDIT: one last tip for both of you… try resetting the PRAM.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I finally got it running at 2 am. I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried so many suggestions but I'm thankful it's ok, still now.
I did run MacKeeper about a month ago when I had a virus. Why do you ask?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your help. I finally got it running at 2 am. I don't know exactly what fixed it because I tried so many suggestions but I'm thankful it's ok, still now.
I did run MacKeeper about a month ago when I had a virus. Why do you ask?

First off… what makes you think you had a virus?

Secondly… MacKeeper is FUDware. It does nothing particularly useful. It is a memory hog and performance drain. It has screwed up many a user's system. It is difficult to eradicate. From a business ethic standpoint… they have littered the internet with faked reviews heaping praise on their software. They have spammed this forum with faked inquiries into the product followed by faked praise for it. They have an "evangelist" whose full-time job is combatting anything negative said about it. I and many of the regulars here agree that it is one of the worst things you can deliberately install on your system. Do yourself a favor and be rid of it.
how to uninstall MacKeeper « Phil Stokes

OP
L
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for making me aware of MacKeeper. I thought it was such a great application. I went ahead and did the steps to remove it from my computer. I'm so grateful for this community so willing to help each other!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.