• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Powermac G5 2.7 Quad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Isn't it out already?

OP
Z

zap2

DCraver said:
Isn't it out already?

the one out is 2.5ghz

i bet will we see it , or at least quad 2 and 2.3 PM just becuz i'm betting PM get the last update so i can't see Apple not upgrading them to 2.7 but Apple migth just do quad 2 and 2.3 and some other little stuff on PMs

BUt i DO think there will be no more 'book updates cuz those PB update were weak!(but their still NICE computers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Maybe, because I read somewhere, they would have the PowerPC's on one side of the store and the Intels on the other side. I still like the PowerPC's. I don't like the idea of the Intels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
If you have one of the old Dual 2.7Ghz boxes, probably :

http://www.macosrumors.com/

sources in the third-party processor upgrade industry are suggesting that dual-dual-core upgrades may be possible for owners of previous-generation dual G5's. For example, an owner of an original-iteration, liquid-cooled dual 2.5GHz G5 (970FX) could potentially get two 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP processors on an upgrade card to replace the original CPU's. Although this wouldn't match the quad-optimized architecture, greater memory bandwidth, or PCI Express broadband expansion bus archtecture of the latest dual-core PMG5's....this would be an appealing solution for owners of previous G5 systems. The existence of 970MP G5 prototypes at Apple hooked up to previous-generation DDR400-based system controllers bolster this rumor and we have hope that such upgrades will see the light of day in a matter of months if all goes well.

OP
D

DuGong

i heard that the G5's have to go up to 3ghz.... then that will be the end.. that was apart of the contract.... i thnk

OP
Z

zap2

no, i doubt Apple wil use a Quad 3ghz cuz then what reason did the have for switching to intel?( laptops could have gotten Dual G4s)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
zap2 said:
no, i doubt Apple wil use a Quad 3ghz cuz then what reason did the have for switching to intel?( laptops could have gotten Dual G4s)

They could maybe make like a 4GHz Intel or something.

Reaction score
Why does it matter? .2ghz is hardly enough of a performance bump to worry about.

OP
B

BEEEsH

I see apple coming into their intel era using the powerpc concept of: dual processor + dual core. I think that in terms of hardware it will seperate them quite a bit from other intel based performance pc's. I think that we'll likely see dual 3.6ghz p4 processors with quad core.

OP
Z

zap2

DCraver said:
They could maybe make like a 4GHz Intel or something.

True but RAW CPU does not make a good computer, this is were the Mhz Myth comes into play. 3ghz PPC would lilkly be faster then a 4ghz x86(intel) chip.

OP
B

BEEEsH

I just hope that when apple does start rolling out their new systems they make them as powerful as possible. Sure, a 3.8/4.2ghz intel extreme is nice, but not when compared to a dual 2.5 quad core system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I think it's too early to speak about intel based powermacs. apple said 2006-2007 timeframe for transition, with its pro hardware to be the last to change. I believe first intel mac we see will be mac mini, iBook and maybe iMac. could also be powerbooks, since G4 development is going nowhere. as for powermacs, I do not expect to see one until late 2006 or mid 2007.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
zap2 said:
True but RAW CPU does not make a good computer, this is were the Mhz Myth comes into play. 3ghz PPC would lilkly be faster then a 4ghz x86(intel) chip.

Certainly would be:

(Rendering benchmark test - lower time is better)
Old dual 2.5 - 38 seconds
Quad 2.5 - 17 seconds
Dual 2.8 Xeon - 49 seconds

It will be quite some time before anything from Intel will be able to compete with the new quad PPC systems and there is nothing to stop them using an 8 core system if they wish.

btw, a new chip start up company has announced dual core low power PowerPCs:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1875302,00.asp

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IIRC I read that the Dual Core process was never intended or planned for the 2.7Ghz processors....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea why would apple walk away from multiple cores? multiple 64bit cores?

theyre really screwing wiht us!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Amen-Moses said:
It will be quite some time before anything from Intel will be able to compete with the new quad PPC systems and there is nothing to stop them using an 8 core system if they wish

Amen-Moses

What about heat? I dont think they can pull of 8 cores and not sound like a Oreck.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
IronMac said:
What about heat? I dont think they can pull of 8 cores and not sound like a Oreck.

65nm will be lower powered and thus cooler, all it would need is a good liquid cooling system and it would be no louder than a twin 2.7.

Anyhow Apple could always advertise it as "All in one media solution, audio, video .... and heats your house!".

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.